Moving fish and corals to new tank.... Need advice

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my 130.4 Waterbox. I have a 32 gallon Biocube with 4 fish and several corals. Currently the new tank is cycling with several rocks, but once it is done cycling, how quickly can I move the inhabitants to the new tank? Can I move everything at once? Should I move the corals first and then the fish at a later date? Or vice versa?

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The rocks in the 32 already have several corals encrusted on them so they will be moving as well. So basically the tank is cycling with several new rocks and sand while I plan to transfer everything from the 32 over to the Waterbox (minus the old sand).

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The rocks in the 32 already have several corals encrusted on them so they will be moving as well. So basically the tank is cycling with several new rocks and sand while I plan to transfer everything from the 32 over to the Waterbox (minus the old sand).
You could transfer everything over day 1, the rock is the biggest source of filtration and sounds like it is already mature, unless you just set up the bio cube

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on the amount of new rock added as well because it will cause a new cycle depending on the rock amount and if it was dry or live rock.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything from a 28 gallon to a 65, didn’t even cycle. I literally put my old rock on top of the new dry rock. You couldn’t tell the difference in the rocks within a month. The rocks make the difference between starting from nothing to just transferring to a larger tank. As long as you don’t increase the bio load right away your rocks will be filtering what they were already doing while seeding the new rock at the same time.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but matters if it was new dry rock from caribsea or other company or dry rock like fuji with decaying matter on it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back