Moving fish from QT to DT Question about Tangs

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first four fish have been in QT for six weeks and have about 3 more weeks to go. Two clowns, a Tomini Tang and an Orange Shoulder Tang. The Orange Shoulder has been the aggressor in QT and the Tomini has become shy when it’s feeding time. He still eats good, but the Orange Shoulder gets a bit bossy around the algae clip and the Tomini goes and hides in the PVC. No outright aggression, but enough to show he is the tank boss and make the Tomini hide.

My thoughts are, when I’m ready to transition them to the DT, I’m thinking of holding the Orange Shoulder in QT and letting the other three go to the DT to get settled in. Maybe give them a week before I put the Orange Shoulder in. Will that help subdue his aggression a little? I want the Tomini to get settled without him around. Later on, the next group of fish (two more Tangs) will be bigger than him, so that should quite him down, so just worried about the Tomini till then.

QT is 28 gallons and the DT is about 165 gallons (WaterBox 220.6). Next two tang will be a blonde Naso and hopefully a nice Gem Tang which I assume will end up being the tank boss.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jetson

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice patience and best of luck...

Never had an orange shoulder, but their reputation precedes them. and we know tominnis are mild for the most part

A 165 should have lots of room for hiding and flow patterns, so hopefully they can avoid each other at feeding time

staging their entry might not help completely, but it will do no harm for certain, so worth a try

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Here‘s my set up. Stared cycling it six days ago. Tomini should be able to find his happy place. will put some branching hammers in the lower left front for the clowns. Hopefully they will host them. System is still work in progress. Tank is plain vanilla right now because they made my control boxes the wrong size. Second/third picture is where the control boxes and all the electronics will go. It‘s right behind the DT. Blue and black tubing is for my auto water change. When I get the new control boxes, I can start putting all my controllers and dosers together. Also had one of the XR30 G5 lights go mustang and fry itself as soon as it was turned on. Go figure. Replacement on the way.

I‘ll try to put together a build thread once I get rolling.

Jetson

F1887D0F-28D9-4BA1-85FA-DAD3AA2E95F6.jpeg
DFFB5E81-FC71-486D-A17C-F65BC4727905.jpeg
DFFB5E81-FC71-486D-A17C-F65BC4727905.jpeg
5483014B-77D4-446B-B772-8CDDC9F495B0.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back