Moving from AIO to Sump

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just purchased a 60 cube to replace my Fluval Evo. I'm just wanting advice on what to expect with the sump and any suggestions for set up and maintenance that I might not have thought of whilst running the AIO for 15 months. The sump I'm getting is as below.

1582467040675.png
1582467052558.png

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO = All In One.

I've got a Fluval Evo that has all the skimmer, filter pump in the back of the tank behind a wall, rather than a sump.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you'll appreciate the extra size and flexibility of having a sump. It doesn't look like you have a spot for filter socks/media cups. Have you decided on a skimmer, return pump, or ATO yet? Also, do you plan on using the second chamber as a refugium or to place a reactor?

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll appreciate the extra size and flexibility of having a sump. It doesn't look like you have a spot for filter socks/media cups. Have you decided on a skimmer, return pump, or ATO yet? Also, do you plan on using the second chamber as a refugium or to place a reactor?

To be honest I'm completely open to suggestions as it's all new to me. I was going to avoid the fuge for now just until I get to grips with the sump set up.

I think I've got a Deltec skimmer lined up second hand thanks to the LFS. I've got an ATO already on my AIO which will just transfer.

All suggestions are welcome and much appreciated though!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am a huge Reef Octopus fan (I have been running them for over a decade), but I will readily admit that Deltec makes a good skimmer. Since you already have the ATO then it sounds like the main thing that you need at this point is a return pump as well as to physically do the plumbing. Some things to consider are a budget brand, name brand, or in between as well as DC or not.

One other thought, if you do not have plans for the fuge chamber then you may want to consider putting the skimmer in that chamber and getting a filter sock stand for the first chamber.

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge Reef Octopus fan (I have been running them for over a decade), but I will readily admit that Deltec makes a good skimmer. Since you already have the ATO then it sounds like the main thing that you need at this point is a return pump as well as to physically do the plumbing. Some things to consider are a budget brand, name brand, or in between as well as DC or not.

One other thought, if you do not have plans for the fuge chamber then you may want to consider putting the skimmer in that chamber and getting a filter sock stand for the first chamber.

Brilliant, thanks.

This is going to be the dumbest question of the day, but where does the other filtration go? I've currently got a little filter cage with floss, carbon and Purigem running in the back of the Evo that has served be well for a year. I've seen the MarinePure cubes and balls and guess you just drop them in either of the first 2 chambers, but not sure with regards to anything else.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brilliant, thanks.

This is going to be the dumbest question of the day, but where does the other filtration go? I've currently got a little filter cage with floss, carbon and Purigem running in the back of the Evo that has served be well for a year. I've seen the MarinePure cubes and balls and guess you just drop them in either of the first 2 chambers, but not sure with regards to anything else.

The floss performs essentially the same function as a filter sock. In fact, some people use a filter media cup in place of a filter sock and add floss to the cup (instead of a sock). The cubes and balls can be placed anywhere in the sump (as a side note, I strongly prefer Brightwells bio-blocks over the MarinePure). The carbon and Purigem should be in an area of flow such as the first chamber - some people even add them to the filter media cup. Alternately there are many types of media reactors that perform the same or related function to these that could be placed in the second chamber (e.g. reactor chamber).

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floss performs essentially the same function as a filter sock. In fact, some people use a filter media cup in place of a filter sock and add floss to the cup (instead of a sock). The cubes and balls can be placed anywhere in the sump (as a side note, I strongly prefer Brightwells bio-blocks over the MarinePure). The carbon and Purigem should be in an area of flow such as the first chamber - some people even add them to the filter media cup. Alternately there are many types of media reactors that perform the same or related function to these that could be placed in the second chamber (e.g. reactor chamber).

So if I were to just drop the filter cage as it is into the sump in a high flow area that would do the trick? Presumably I'd need to up the quantities of each for the additional capacity (or change them over more often)?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sounds like it is worth trying. The question is if you can direct enough of the flow through the filter cage to achieve the desired benefit.

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it is worth trying. The question is if you can direct enough of the flow through the filter cage to achieve the desired benefit.

We'll suck it and see what we can come up with.

One further question with regards the heater, do you place the heater in the sump or the display? And what size do I need?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that you will find that most people put their heater in the sump although there is some variation. In addition to the amount of water in your tank and sump, part of determining the correct size of heater is to consider how much the water temperature needs to be raised above the room temperature. Another thing to consider is to get two smaller heaters. Additionally, know that there are temperature security devices to stop run-away heaters (example: https://www.coralvue.com/smart-skimmer-security-3155).

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you will find that most people put their heater in the sump although there is some variation. In addition to the amount of water in your tank and sump, part of determining the correct size of heater is to consider how much the water temperature needs to be raised above the room temperature. Another thing to consider is to get two smaller heaters. Additionally, know that there are temperature security devices to stop run-away heaters (example: https://www.coralvue.com/smart-skimmer-security-3155).

Brilliant thanks. I'm in the UK and the tank is going to be in my main living room which sits at between 16-20C (61-68F) most of the year. My current Fluval Evo is really stable with just the heater that came with it (but that's only a 13g). I was thinking something like this: https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/accessories/fluval-e/fluval-e-200w-electronic-heater

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back