Moving from hospital tank to quarantine tank. What's the best way to do this?

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thread related to my fish having ICH.

My fish should be out of their copper hospital tank this Friday! I have kept track of all the numbers and they have all been pretty stable. So far none of the fish have died and overall seem to be doing great! So thanks again to everyone that helped.

I have a 29-gallon setup going that I want to transfer the fish too after their 30-day copper treatment is over. Is there anything special I need to do in the quarantine tank? Obviously, temp and salinity are going to be the same but will not contain any copper.

Do I need to slowly lower the copper levels after 30 days? Or is it okay to just put them in the quarantine tank right away? The only thing I want to move over from the hospital tank is the PVC and the heater. Everything I read said that was okay. Is that true?

Any other advice would be great! Things to look out for, etc.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you are were you planning to treat for flukes and or internal parasites?
Prazipro is my final step then I just ensure the temp, Salinity are the same. If not I use a bucket and slowly add tank water then in they go.
Good luck

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you are were you planning to treat for flukes and or internal parasites?
Prazipro is my final step then I just ensure the temp, Salinity are the same. If not I use a bucket and slowly add tank water then in they go.
Good luck
Honestly, I haven't even thought about that. I have 1-Focus, 1-Metroplex, and 1-Kanaplex though. In my initial thread, I mention being worried about constantly medicating them. A day or two after the initial treatment I did see my Kole tang with ich but since that day I haven't seen any negative signs from the fish. They have eaten every day.

Is it common advice to also treat them for flukes and parasites? With flukes, I have done freshwater dips but wasn't planning on doing that either unless advice says otherwise.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the fish right into the copper free quarantine tank as long as all your other parameters match.. temp and salinity are the bing ones though. As long as they match, you should be good. No need to slowly ramp down copper.

Yes, you can move the heater and pvc fittings over, a quick rinse should remove all the copper from them.

If you haven't done a couple of Prazi treatments yet, now would be a good time. dose it once and then dose it again 9 days later. You could do this in the hospital tank or the quarantine tank as prazi is generally considered reef safe.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the fish right into the copper free quarantine tank as long as all your other parameters match.. temp and salinity are the bing ones though. As long as they match, you should be good. No need to slowly ramp down copper.

Yes, you can move the heater and pvc fittings over, a quick rinse should remove all the copper from them.

If you haven't done a couple of Prazi treatments yet, now would be a good time. dose it once and then dose it again 9 days later. You could do this in the hospital tank or the quarantine tank as prazi is generally considered reef safe.
My qt tank doesn't have anything in it. It's essentially a bigger hospital tank. I will look into Prazi treatment. Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back