Moving: how long have you kept your fish/corals in rubbermaid tub

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, moving in 3 weeks. Got my plan down: going to move everything into a 100 gallon rubbermaid trough. Clean tank. I put 2nd bigger trough in new home, move everything in 5 and 20 gallon buckets to new trough. Movers move tank, set up new tank. Voila....

Question: how long have you all kept fish/corals in a trough? I am thinking of moving everything into the trough 3-5 days before the actual move so I can clean the tank/sump out completely, and then want to take my time in the new location setting everything up. Everything will be connected except the skimmer ie apex, lights, etc. So maybe 10 days total, that ok without a skimmer?

Advice, like do I need to do water changes in those 10 days? 50% of the water will be fresh.

Cheers.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done it before, but here's my two cents.
If you have your live rock and wavemakers there, you be fine as far as nitrates go. You should do more water changes though, since you're not skimming.
It might be a good idea to add some pieces of pvc if some of your fish need to hide from each other.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, moving in 3 weeks. Got my plan down: going to move everything into a 100 gallon rubbermaid trough. Clean tank. I put 2nd bigger trough in new home, move everything in 5 and 20 gallon buckets to new trough. Movers move tank, set up new tank. Voila....

Question: how long have you all kept fish/corals in a trough? I am thinking of moving everything into the trough 3-5 days before the actual move so I can clean the tank/sump out completely, and then want to take my time in the new location setting everything up. Everything will be connected except the skimmer ie apex, lights, etc. So maybe 10 days total, that ok without a skimmer?

Advice, like do I need to do water changes in those 10 days? 50% of the water will be fresh.

Cheers.
How did the move go? I am going to be doing something similar for an upgrade and thought i would ask.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back