Moving live rock across the country, anyone done this?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so with my tank I’m doing (20 long) I want to get my lr direct from the source (salty bottom) because when my grandma drives to indiana, it’s on the way north. what would be the most idealistic method to transport it. It would be in transit for 3 days max. I was thinking 4 buckets with air stones (half full 1 rock in each) I think 15 lb is about 4 rocks idk tho, my other idea was a standard tote (mabye 4 buckets in a tote with towels for stability and water soaking? I’d prefer doing this because I can get what I need (15 lb) I’d probably get more later tho for 90$ as opposed to 25 lbs for 175$. Anyone done this before when moving a tank?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so with my tank I’m doing (20 long) I want to get my lr direct from the source (salty bottom) because when my grandma drives to indiana, it’s on the way north. what would be the most idealistic method to transport it. It would be in transit for 3 days max. I was thinking 4 buckets with air stones (half full 1 rock in each) I think 15 lb is about 4 rocks idk tho, my other idea was a standard tote (mabye 4 buckets in a tote with towels for stability and water soaking? I’d prefer doing this because I can get what I need (15 lb) I’d probably get more later tho for 90$ as opposed to 25 lbs for 175$. Anyone done this before when moving a tank?
i would do one bigger tote from like target or dollar store with an airstone and cheap preset heater

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will all likely fit in one bucket. Add water, seal, and drive home. The rock can handle temperature swings (outside of freezing) and be fine. I would not worry about an air pump but it wouldn't hurt, you just couldn't have a sealed lid to keep water out of Grandma's car. Take care of Grandma first! :)

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think iil do the pump but if I only need 1 bucket I should be perfectly fine. I’m gonna MABYE do 2 and 1 can have tunicates worms inverts and stuff I find collecting and the other will just have rock

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used press n seal on my buckets when I moved from wyo to tx. It worked very well. I wouldn’t trust it to hold if the bucket tipped over though. The tote with a lid is a better way to go probably.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated many times, you better check the local laws on taking stuff from the beaches. If it's alive it's illegal to take it home.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back