Moving Newly Mature Tank for 2 Days-Live Rock Question

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my apartment is going to be cleared out to put new flooring in and I have to move my tank to the kitchen for a couple days. How long can the live rock last without water until I get it into the kitchen? It just started coralline and I don't want to disturb the tank too much more than I already have to. Will this cause it to do a mini-cycle again? I plan to buy a couple buckets and syphon the water into those in between moving to kitchen and back into my bedroom. Will the rocks be ok for a few minutes or should I remove the rocks and keep in buckets submerged? It's only a 20g H so it's not supper big to carry. I was planning to fill the water back up as soon as it moved to the kitchen. I'm mainly concerned about the live rock dying off and if it'll go through a mini-cycle or not.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my apartment is going to be being cleared out to put new flooring in and I have to move my tank to the kitchen for a couple days. How long can the live rock last without water until I get it into the kitchen? It just started coralline and I don't want to disturb the tank too much more than I already have to. Will this cause it to do a mini-cycle again? I plan to buy a couple buckets and syphon the water into those in between moving to kitchen and back into my bedroom. Will the rocks be ok for a few minutes or should I remove the rocks and keep in buckets submerged? It's only a 20g H so it's not supper big to carry. I was planning to fill the water back up as soon as it moved to the kitchen. I'm mainly concerned about the live rock dying off and if it'll go through a mini-cycle or not.
Just be quick and things will be fine. Ocean rock gets shipped with minimal water with limited die off after 24hrs.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be quick and things will be fine. Ocean rock gets shipped with minimal water with limited die off after 24hrs.
Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better. I didn’t think I’d have to move it unless I moved to another apartment or home but it’s new flooring.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, so my apartment is going to be cleared out to put new flooring in and I have to move my tank to the kitchen for a couple days. How long can the live rock last without water until I get it into the kitchen? It just started coralline and I don't want to disturb the tank too much more than I already have to. Will this cause it to do a mini-cycle again? I plan to buy a couple buckets and syphon the water into those in between moving to kitchen and back into my bedroom. Will the rocks be ok for a few minutes or should I remove the rocks and keep in buckets submerged? It's only a 20g H so it's not supper big to carry. I was planning to fill the water back up as soon as it moved to the kitchen. I'm mainly concerned about the live rock dying off and if it'll go through a mini-cycle or not.
I have been in this situation and i emptied tank down to 1/3 and had 2 guys help me lift and place the stand on 1 1/4" PVC tubing which became wheels. We rolled the tank and stand to another room and refilled tank right away. And the following day, I emptied down again (this time I discarded the water I removed and replaced with newly mixed water which became a Good water change. While they lifted, we kicked the PVC out of the way to get tank back on ground and leveled before refilling.
The height lifted was only 3"

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the coralline, how long will it be out of water? A quick transfer is fine but an hour or two dry probably not so good...

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the coralline, how long will it be out of water? A quick transfer is fine but an hour or two dry probably not so good...
Just enough to empty the tank down to about 1/3 and carry it to the kitchen. I'm trying to keep my fish as least stressed as possible as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just enough to empty the tank down to about 1/3 and carry it to the kitchen. I'm trying to keep my fish as least stressed as possible as well.
Also, I left fish in tank when we moved it

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that sounds fine...i had the impression you were gonna be leaving it sitting out of water for hours or something along those lines...but hey, even if you were to lose some coralline cover it'll grow right back

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back