Moving out of house and my reef tank...

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m selling my house and buying a new house. My tank is mixed reef. How can I successfully transfer my aquarium

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,1st ,how big,how far,pics would help :) plan a full day no matter;)

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving is always I headache. I’ve been lucky to have a great relationship with my lfs that house my livestock for a week or so. If it wasn’t for that I would sell it all off and start over.

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve moved my large systems 3 times. To different states. Often times I would post my fish and coral on different platforms. If the fish don’t sell I would give them to a lfs and ask for store credit. The equipment, rocks, and sand would be packed in different totes and it would be like I’m starting fresh each time. Just rinse the sand off really well.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
10 min drive to a new home.

The process not sure, just approved today and ready to place offer. Not sure on the time frame, assume it would be all in a day or two.

Mixed reef tank, with sps, lps anemones etc.

I definitely wont sell my fish, they are my pets

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
-Place coral submersed in tubs
-Place fish in buckets with tank water
-You did not mention what size tank but assuming its 125g or less, take water from tank and salvage and remove down to the last two inches to keep sand wet and bacteria alive and try to set tank back up within 6-10 hours. Will be like doing a major water change.
Ive done this twice with success. One was moving my entire Pet store across town to a larger location

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Its a 425xl ... so 88 gal

Leave the sand with 2" of water submerged ?

Salvage the water so , place the water in containers to dump back in? What's the rationale for this... to keep the consistent water chemistry ?

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 425xl ... so 88 gal

Leave the sand with 2" of water submerged ?

Salvage the water so , place the water in containers to dump back in? What's the rationale for this... to keep the consistent water chemistry ?
Beneficial bacteria in sand = needs water?
Are you planning on dumping fish back into tank once moved in? Then existing water may help instead of having to mix saltwater when you get there and having to cycle?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mix around the sand in last two inches of water like a rinse pour out,poss do again w a couple gals of tank water,but take out 1st 2 buckets of clean water ,set aside for fish when you catch them

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as much as your current as water as possible. I used 15 of the 5 gallon poland spring water bottles. Then I bagged all fish and coral. Placed all rock In a tub with water. Dropped in a heater and floated bags. Then proceeded to drive everything 2 hours away and set up tank at new place. i used a power inverter so I could run the heater in the tub on the car drive. topped off with another 20 gallons of new saltwater and all worked out great. I run barebottom so I didn’t worry about sand but if I did I would just place it in 5 gallon buckets and keep wet
lots of work but I had no losses

good luck

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back