Moving rocks that likely contain a mantis or pistol shrimp

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I’m not exactly sure which sub forum suits this question best so I’m posting it here.

I recently found a shrimp molt in my tank (I didn’t add any shrimp knowingly) and I’ve also been hearing clicking sounds. I do have a short spine urchin and so at first I thought the clicks were from her moving over the glass but last night I heard clicks in one area of the tank and my urchin was in another.

Anyway, given that I don’t know what kind of shrimp/stomatopod I have, what is the safest way to go about moving rocks from one tank to another? I don’t want to hurt whatever animal is living in my rocks and I don’t want it to get me, either!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clicking you are hearing can be made by Mantis Shrimp. It may have hitch hiked in to your tank on a rock. If you post a picture of the molt, I am sure someone would be able to tell you what kind of shrimp it is from.

Don't rush. Move one rock at a time. And after everything is out of the tank, rake the substrate to be sure something isn't borrowed.

OP
OP
F

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a picture of the molt in the hitchhiker forum and the closest to an ID that anybody got was a sexy shrimp. I’ve posted the picture below again. I will definitely go slow on the moving!

A75B1AF8-D66B-4085-9F79-AF3CE6D2D17E.jpeg

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I thought I gad a pistol or Mantis I would set a bottle trap. Mantis are usually caught fairly quickly, I have never been able to catch a pistol shrimp. Most Mantis I came across where crushers one was fun to watch, he would come out of the LR and bash the LR and eats bugs. I have never lost anything to either.

OP
OP
F

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mantis shrimp molt and a pic of the mantis. This one is about 7”. Ordered him a couple months ago.
75FE8CBF-84C2-435F-95CB-2327EC765B98.jpeg
6C44265B-136D-485A-857A-C3383B57D494.jpeg

Your mantis is gorgeous!

Where did your rock come from?

My rock is a mixture of KP aquatics and GulfLiveRock.

Arm length rubber gauntlets are a great piece of ppe reefing equipment to have in your armoury

Don't cost too much and very tough

glb9614706g.jpg

I have those gloves and always wear them when I'm working in the tank. I also assume that a mantis at least could cut through them.

The only other clue I have is that for a few weeks now I've been seeing what look like large bubbles of mucus and sediment being ejected from from my rock. They come out of different holes and dissipate quickly. It seems the advice is just to proceed slowly, wear gloves, and hopefully everything will be ok?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a small pistol shrimp based on the molt and where you got your rock.
Back when I got TBS rock, I had lots of of small pistol shrimp and 2 wennerae mantis. The wennerae mantis are pretty mild in comparison to other species, if you do happen to have a mantis. I never had issue handling the rock (150 pounds) and wouldn't be overly concerned.
Just don't go poking your finger in the hole he is hiding in.

OP
OP
F

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts/advice/reassurance everybody. I will go slow, wear gloves, and only put my fingers where I can see what’s there. I’d really like to see what I have, just because I’m curious, but I’m not worried about getting it out of the tank unless it starts killing other tank inhabitants.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back