Moving short distance/tank upgrade at the same time questions!

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving at the end of next month and see conflicting info! Have a 13.5, 1.5 years old going up to a 32 but while everything sounds good on paper my execution is terrible. Have 2 days where I have access to both places (but will obviously be moving everything else same time so somewhat limited on time), if I set up my new tank with new sand and new water for 24 hours while it heats up and stuff, but move rock(about 15 lbs ish so will prolly need to add a piece of fresh rock) + livestock + bio pellets from setup tank and what not is that enough or do I want to add existing water and a little sand? Add extra live bacteria for a boost? As for my stock im quite concerned as well, I have a tuxedo urchin who I swear sucks to the glass like he's trying to eat though it how to i remove him? Do I just use my hands? Anddd other one would' be my pistol goby pair.. how do I remove them and the rock without hurting them? And if any crab or sexy shrimp or something is hidden and stays in the rock when I remove it will it get squished while driving? The drive is only about 15 mins in a straight line

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moving at the end of next month and see conflicting info! Have a 13.5, 1.5 years old going up to a 32 but while everything sounds good on paper my execution is terrible. Have 2 days where I have access to both places (but will obviously be moving everything else same time so somewhat limited on time), if I set up my new tank with new sand and new water for 24 hours while it heats up and stuff, but move rock(about 15 lbs ish so will prolly need to add a piece of fresh rock) + livestock + bio pellets from setup tank and what not is that enough or do I want to add existing water and a little sand? Add extra live bacteria for a boost? As for my stock im quite concerned as well, I have a tuxedo urchin who I swear sucks to the glass like he's trying to eat though it how to i remove him? Do I just use my hands? Anddd other one would' be my pistol goby pair.. how do I remove them and the rock without hurting them? And if any crab or sexy shrimp or something is hidden and stays in the rock when I remove it will it get squished while driving? The drive is only about 15 mins in a straight line

Thanks!
Set up tank and add denitrifying bacteria such as micro bacter XLM and transfer as you first indicated

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it this way for the upgrade.
Finish moving all house hold stuff
Set up 32 with out water
Have water ready and heated.
Break down the 13g keep all the water. Keep rocks wet
Add all to the 32. Finish by filling with water.
I recommend after all household items are moved so the tank doesn't get bumped

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it this way for the upgrade.
Finish moving all house hold stuff
Set up 32 with out water
Have water ready and heated.
Break down the 13g keep all the water. Keep rocks wet
Add all to the 32. Finish by filling with water.
I recommend after all household items are moved so the tank doesn't get bumped
My only concern with that is being 13 gallons only won't all the water be used up in my containers with fish/inverts and rock? And won't the new water be all grossed up with the things being in it for like 30-60 minutes? And is little containers better? Do I need to keep the crabs/urchin/fish/sexy shrimp/pistol shrimp all separated? Will they cool down too much in the time it takes for me to break down the tank and move over?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern with that is being 13 gallons only won't all the water be used up in my containers with fish/inverts and rock? And won't the new water be all grossed up with the things being in it for like 30-60 minutes? And is little containers better? Do I need to keep the crabs/urchin/fish/sexy shrimp/pistol shrimp all separated? Will they cool down too much in the time it takes for me to break down the tank and move over?
Crabs, shrip, urchin each have thier own small container. All fish in 5gal bucket. Put rocks in own container.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back