Moving stuff to a new tank

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by randy4083, Oct 7, 2017.

1. randy4083

randy4083 Well-Known Member

I just bought a tank and sump and there gonna go in the same place as my other tank and I also have a 55 gallon tank and I'm gonna put all my corals and fish in the 55 gallon tank but I want to use the live rock that's in the tank that the corals were in and add to the new tank so can I put the live rock in buckets in I guess saltwater or can the live rock sit in rodi until I get the new tank sat up?

Tags:

2. flsalty

flsalty Well-Known Member

Put them in saltwater. If you put them n fresh it will kill a lot of stuff off.

brandon429 likes this.
  3. brandon429

brandon429 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Yes must be sw

Also don’t xfer any old sand make it where you don’t move any form of waste or detritus over

You can either replace or rinse out the old sand, search on here for official sand rinse thread for steps

4. randy4083

I'm gonna replace the sand because I used black sand in my old tank and I'm gonna used regular sand in this tank

5. randy4083

Should I use any of the old water in the new tank because I'm gonna use aquavitro seed to cycle the tank with but would it be good to use some of the old water to help the cycle

6. brandon429

brandon429 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It’s ok to do that or not do that either way. The sand rinse thread shows tanks not using old water, the live rocks bring over all the needed bac. If you buy new sand that is the wet pack kind, that too w have bac

It’s ok to use new water or old, won’t matter

7. randy4083

I'm gonna buy live sand that's wet so I guess that I'll just use all new water then because your saying that it won't make a difference on what type of water I use