Moving tank temporarily during renovations

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my entire living room and kitchen floor redone in the downstairs of my apartment Friday. What should I do with my 40G tank in my living room that was just set up 2 months ago and just finally finishing a cycle? What would be the best way to move the tank temporarily while saving live rock and not starting a mini cycle if possible?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right to move it for sure. Looked into the same thing and thread after thread of people who tried to refinish floors near the tank killed it. Tenting, ventilation, positive pressure.... all no dice.

Any fish or corals in there yet? If it's just cycled rock and sand, buckets/heater/powerhead would be fine. You could have a mini cycle when you refill the tank, but I'd think not more than a few days to a week. Where are you looking to store everything during the remodel? Upstairs?

I can't imagine trying to carry a tank, even 90% drained, up apartment stairs w rock inside.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not what u want to hear but get it out of the house. You can try to isolate it off but sanding is messy and the fumes are very strong for floor stains and clears. Bucket or brute can with rocks, heater, and pump. Good luck

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right to move it for sure. Looked into the same thing and thread after thread of people who tried to refinish floors near the tank killed it. Tenting, ventilation, positive pressure.... all no dice.

Any fish or corals in there yet? If it's just cycled rock and sand, buckets/heater/powerhead would be fine. You could have a mini cycle when you refill the tank, but I'd think not more than a few days to a week. Where are you looking to store everything during the remodel? Upstairs?

I can't imagine trying to carry a tank, even 90% drained, up apartment stairs w rock inside.
Yes, I have 2 clownfish, 4 frags of zoas and a medium size rock full of GSP, would these be ok in the container with a heater and powerhead? I could get a large container and try to fit the rock and livestock all in one or should I split them up?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have 2 clownfish, 4 frags of zoas and a medium size rock full of GSP, would these be ok in the container with a heater and powerhead? I could get a large container and try to fit the rock and livestock all in one or should I split them up?
yes they'll be fine in that setup. When I moved, all my livestock survived a week in a brute that contained liverocks, heater, powerhead and light. I'd keep the liverock in same container w livestock for filtration. Just keep an eye on evaporation to top it off so salinity doesn't get out of whack.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back