Moving timeline and tank integrity for cross country move

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
In about a year we'll be moving from New Jersey to Florida. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. I already know that the livestock will be an entirely different issue.

What I am wondering is about how soon in advance should I be starting the process of breaking down in order to sell my livestock.
I'm also considering just selling the system as a whole (minus livestock which I'd get rid of first). I'm considering this because we do not know what amount of space the new house will have. And because there is a possibility that we might end up going down there and renting a house until we find one to buy. Further we don't know that the new house will have a dedicated spot for a 75 gallon tank.

I am also concerned that being packed up in a moving truck and driven so far would result in structural weakening of the tank. The current display that I have is the second one in my year and a half in the hobby because the first one was leaking at the seams even after I resealed it. I do not want to play around with leaky seams again.

I do not know how long it will take to sell off a whole system like this since you would of course need to wait for a very specific buyer, and I don't want to wait until the last minute and part with it for less than it's worth just because we are in a rush. I am considering getting a 40 gallon breeder at the $/gallon sale and setting that up to get it cycling because I feel like the weight of a 40 gallon won't be as harmful to itself when it gets shipped so far. And because just about any place you move should at least have the room for a 40 breeder. Then it could be a tank that I would be able to keep and is much easier to move than a 75 DT +40g sump. I would even run this breeder bare bottom at least for now to reduce what needs to be moved and the time it would take.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions or experience I would be happy to hear them. I do plan to keep most of my coral which is why I will need a tank at least until we move and why I will like to have everything in line so that when we get there I can set things up quickly.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me, I would consider starting now by moving the coral colonies into a smaller tank. Something that you can more easily pack up. Depending how many corals you have, something small like a 20 long could make a nice display in the meantime, and super easy to safely pack up in the back seat of the car.

Finding a buyer for a whole system is tough. You'll have more luck separating it into lights, tank/stand and other individual items.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a custom setup then I would be all for padding it well and getting it to FL on a truck. Since it is a 75 gallon tank I would just get rid of it and setup a new one. I rarely see entire setups sell, usually people are more successful parting out. If you have a year then I would start listing everything and getting it sold. Once you are settled in FL then you can setup at your own pace rather than rushing through it.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me, I would consider starting now by moving the coral colonies into a smaller tank. Something that you can more easily pack up. Depending how many corals you have, something small like a 20 long could make a nice display in the meantime, and super easy to safely pack up in the back seat of the car.

Finding a buyer for a whole system is tough. You'll have more luck separating it into lights, tank/stand and other individual items.

This is the idea I’ve started to go with. I picked up a stand and a 40 breeder at petco. I plan to have it ready to go and start listing my current setup. I figure since I’m in the New York metropolitan area I might have a fair chance if I give it time. I have it split into groups, tank stand sump and pump, stuff I need to sell, down to lights skimmer and wave makers, stuff that if someone will pay the right price I’ll sell but it’s not horrible to take with me either. I have a lot of stinging corals so I went with the 40 because I like the size and it gives me plenty of room to keep them separate without the over crowding of my 20 long. I also figure that just about any house will have the space for a 40 breeder and it should fit just fine in whatever car or tuck it ends up in. Back seat of my car has already been claimed by the dogs and coral cooler [emoji6]

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a custom setup then I would be all for padding it well and getting it to FL on a truck. Since it is a 75 gallon tank I would just get rid of it and setup a new one. I rarely see entire setups sell, usually people are more successful parting out. If you have a year then I would start listing everything and getting it sold. Once you are settled in FL then you can setup at your own pace rather than rushing through it.

It is a custom one in the sense that I made it but yeah not worth moving that much tank for a day of glass cutting and silicone not to mention I don’t know if I’ll have the room.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a custom one in the sense that I made it but yeah not worth moving that much tank for a day of glass cutting and silicone not to mention I don’t know if I’ll have the room.

Interesting, any reason you built it over buying a stock one?

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, any reason you built it over buying a stock one?
Being a broke college student? It took maybe $50 in supplies and it fits nicely under my stand which I also built. I remember sumps being extremely expensive for what they were.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the moving industry. The standard for moving an aquarium is to have it crated. We use an outside service provider to do it and it’s not particularly cheap but it’s the only way to properly protect an aquarium during a move. Wrapping it in bubble wrap or furniture pads is not enough. For what a new 75 gallon tank costs I would just sell it if you can and start over once you know how much space you’ll have available.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the moving industry. The standard for moving an aquarium is to have it crated. We use an outside service provider to do it and it’s not particularly cheap but it’s the only way to properly protect an aquarium during a move. Wrapping it in bubble wrap or furniture pads is not enough. For what a new 75 gallon tank costs I would just sell it if you can and start over once you know how much space you’ll have available.
Thank you, I appreciate the input from someone who knows it well. Do you think a 40 breeder would need that same treatment? What size would you feel comfortable with not putting in a crate? Would a 30 breeder be any different? I'm looking for a decent size that would be able to house all of my corals until the move. Should I be picking up 20 longs instead? My lfs is having an aqueon sale so I'll be able to pick up just about any size they make. Where would you put your limits for that line between needing a crate and packing up a tank with a lot of blankets and bubble wrap?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the input from someone who knows it well. Do you think a 40 breeder would need that same treatment? What size would you feel comfortable with not putting in a crate? Would a 30 breeder be any different? I'm looking for a decent size that would be able to house all of my corals until the move. Should I be picking up 20 longs instead? My lfs is having an aqueon sale so I'll be able to pick up just about any size they make. Where would you put your limits for that line between needing a crate and packing up a tank with a lot of blankets and bubble wrap?
The problem with an aquarium is that its all glass and doesn’t usually fit inside any of the standard moving boxes. They also tend to be expensive, or perceived to be expensive. Therefore a mover isn’t going to accept liability for its survival unless it’s properly packed in a wooden crate. It’s the same with marble and glass table tops and some art and mirrors, especially with expensive frames. That leaves you with the choice of trying to rig up some combination of boxes yourself which aren’t usually structurally very sound. That leads to the failure of the box and potential damage. Having said that, if the tank is smaller and you bubble wrap and pack it really well you’ll probably be fine. You have to pack it really well though. Remember that while those tanks have minimal packaging when you get it from the store it was shipped to that store on a pallet with a bunch of others, all stretch wrapped together and with nothing else touching them. A moving van environment is totally different because of the mix of furniture and boxes. That is where substandard packaging can result in damage or loss. The strongest moving box is called a dish pack. It is 18x18x28 inches tall and is triple corrugated. You could fit two of them together to make it longer but that’s when you start getting into structural integrity issues. A 40 breeder is 36x18x18 so that won’t fit and neither will a 20 long which is 30 inches long. Crating, at least how we do it, would run you about $400.00 total for a 75 gallon tank including the service providers trip charges and uncrating at the destination. That’s why I was saying it would be cheaper to sell what you have and get a new one in FL once you know what kind of space you’re going to have to work with. I didn’t really get from your original post what the reason was for moving the tanks at all if your selling the livestock. Are you trying to take the tanks because you’re trying to keep your live rock and want to have a place for it when you get there? I would think moving that in plastic tubs would be more economical. Is there something I am missing there? As far as those smaller tanks you mentioned, if you can pack them really well and they will fit in a moving box they should be fine.

Sorry if this was a little long. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with an aquarium is that its all glass and doesn’t usually fit inside any of the standard moving boxes. They also tend to be expensive, or perceived to be expensive. Therefore a mover isn’t going to accept liability for its survival unless it’s properly packed in a wooden crate. It’s the same with marble and glass table tops and some art and mirrors, especially with expensive frames. That leaves you with the choice of trying to rig up some combination of boxes yourself which aren’t usually structurally very sound. That leads to the failure of the box and potential damage. Having said that, if the tank is smaller and you bubble wrap and pack it really well you’ll probably be fine. You have to pack it really well though. Remember that while those tanks have minimal packaging when you get it from the store it was shipped to that store on a pallet with a bunch of others, all stretch wrapped together and with nothing else touching them. A moving van environment is totally different because of the mix of furniture and boxes. That is where substandard packaging can result in damage or loss. The strongest moving box is called a dish pack. It is 18x18x28 inches tall and is triple corrugated. You could fit two of them together to make it longer but that’s when you start getting into structural integrity issues. A 40 breeder is 36x18x18 so that won’t fit and neither will a 20 long which is 30 inches long. Crating, at least how we do it, would run you about $400.00 total for a 75 gallon tank including the service providers trip charges and uncrating at the destination. That’s why I was saying it would be cheaper to sell what you have and get a new one in FL once you know what kind of space you’re going to have to work with. I didn’t really get from your original post what the reason was for moving the tanks at all if your selling the livestock. Are you trying to take the tanks because you’re trying to keep your live rock and want to have a place for it when you get there? I would think moving that in plastic tubs would be more economical. Is there something I am missing there? As far as those smaller tanks you mentioned, if you can pack them really well and they will fit in a moving box they should be fine.

Sorry if this was a little long. Hope it helps.
Don't be sorry, that's quite informative thank you! As for why I want to bring the tanks, I plan to sell my fish, but we've figured out that there may very well be a way I could keep my coral so having a place to put them when we get there would of course be ideal rather than having to go, potentially not when those tanks are on sale and get one then. I had figured that moving a 75 was a bit of a stretch but had hoped that if I could get myself a smaller tank that it would be something I'd be able to move and be able to set up easily for the coral once I get there. My fish store is even having sales on the odd shaped tanks so I had hoped to get one in preparation and not even fill it just now. I really like the 30 and 33 long tanks and LFS sells them at cost which I haven't heard of anybody else doing so I thought that I'd be able to get one now and bring it with me. I suppose it might be plausible depending on how much room we're going to have in a car since that would be more easily packed to be secure and wouldn't be as rough of a ride.

What would you think if I did my own custom sort of 'crate', a bit of ply wood as a bottom a bit bigger than the tank, set the tank on top, secure it with bubble wrap then get plastic wrap to get it all tight together? Mover policies aside of course, I understand it might need to be transported only by us in our cars.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be sorry, that's quite informative thank you! As for why I want to bring the tanks, I plan to sell my fish, but we've figured out that there may very well be a way I could keep my coral so having a place to put them when we get there would of course be ideal rather than having to go, potentially not when those tanks are on sale and get one then. I had figured that moving a 75 was a bit of a stretch but had hoped that if I could get myself a smaller tank that it would be something I'd be able to move and be able to set up easily for the coral once I get there. My fish store is even having sales on the odd shaped tanks so I had hoped to get one in preparation and not even fill it just now. I really like the 30 and 33 long tanks and LFS sells them at cost which I haven't heard of anybody else doing so I thought that I'd be able to get one now and bring it with me. I suppose it might be plausible depending on how much room we're going to have in a car since that would be more easily packed to be secure and wouldn't be as rough of a ride.

What would you think if I did my own custom sort of 'crate', a bit of ply wood as a bottom a bit bigger than the tank, set the tank on top, secure it with bubble wrap then get plastic wrap to get it all tight together? Mover policies aside of course, I understand it might need to be transported only by us in our cars.
I actually really like that 33 long myself, they look really cool when done right. I’d love to do one sumpless with only powerheads, live rock for filtration, a heater and an ato. That way it could sit on top of a long bookcase or cabinet without a lot of wires and equipment showing. I actually have the perfect place for one in my LR. Don’t know if my water chemistry management skills are up to that project quite yet. Someday though.

You can absolutely do your own crate if you’ve got the skills and equipment. Plywood would be fine but don’t just do the bottom, build a box and do the whole thing. That’s what makes crating effective. Wood on the bottom only wouldn’t be something I would recommend. If you have the room in your cars to bring it with you personally instead of in the moving van that’s the best solution. You won’t need to do anywhere near as much protection in the car, bubble and plastic wrap would be fine.

BTW, I work for the biggest national moving company so if you need a quote PM me when the time comes and I can get you hooked up. I can lock in pricing up to 120 days in advance which is super important if you’re going to move in the summertime.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, plastic tubs work well for keeping LR and corals alive. You can keep corals in plastic tubs indefinitely with adequate lighting, filtration, and flow. Just treat it like a fish tank you can not see through from the sides. I have moved probably around 10 tanks and is it painful everytime.

Also don't forget the headache of keeping corals alive on your move. Unless you are heavily invested in your stock, selling and rebuying might make the most economical sense.

Other option is go to FL 4 weeks early and setup a new tank, let it cycle, and fly with corals to their new home.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back