MP10QD or Reefwave for Red Sea Max 170?

acshaw80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am newish to the hobby and recently purchased an MP10QD while I wait for my tank to arrive. Originally I was buying a max nano, but decided I wanted a larger tank and upgraded to a max 170 (45gallon).

My question is, with the larger tank is one MP10QD enough? Do I need a second? Or would it be better to get one of those red sea reefwave gyres? Their website says the reefwave 25 is the one to use with the max 170. Thanks!

Budmans

Bleigh

The lich queen
View Badges
Reaction score
It depends more on what kind of corals you want to keep. Do you have any plans? You can always add more flow. How you scape the tank will have an impact too.

BRS and WWC (and probably others) have started to say that flow is more important than light.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am newish to the hobby and recently purchased an MP10QD while I wait for my tank to arrive. Originally I was buying a max nano, but decided I wanted a larger tank and upgraded to a max 170 (45gallon).

My question is, with the larger tank is one MP10QD enough? Do I need a second? Or would it be better to get one of those red sea reefwave gyres? Their website says the reefwave 25 is the one to use with the max 170. Thanks!
Just tagged you in a similar post I had on Wednesday...(I opted for both)...

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a reefer 170. The gyre is mounted on the overflow.
I think the gyre is a pain to clean. The RS version might be better. Flow is good but maintenance is a pain.

Avast
OP
A

acshaw80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It depends more on what kind of corals you want to keep. Do you have any plans? You can always add more flow. How you scape the tank will have an impact too.

BRS and WWC (and probably others) have started to say that flow is more important than light.

I'm looking to have a LPS with softs like zoanthids. Glass thickness is 1/2".

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a LPS with softs like zoanthids. Glass thickness is 1/2".
It might not work.

OP
A

acshaw80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It might not work.
Thanks for that information - I think I am going to try a red sea reefwave 25 gyre

Do you utilize the weekends for tank tasks?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 213 63.6%
  • NO

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 91 27.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Innovative Marine