MP10QD or Reefwave for Red Sea Max 170?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am newish to the hobby and recently purchased an MP10QD while I wait for my tank to arrive. Originally I was buying a max nano, but decided I wanted a larger tank and upgraded to a max 170 (45gallon).

My question is, with the larger tank is one MP10QD enough? Do I need a second? Or would it be better to get one of those red sea reefwave gyres? Their website says the reefwave 25 is the one to use with the max 170. Thanks!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends more on what kind of corals you want to keep. Do you have any plans? You can always add more flow. How you scape the tank will have an impact too.

BRS and WWC (and probably others) have started to say that flow is more important than light.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am newish to the hobby and recently purchased an MP10QD while I wait for my tank to arrive. Originally I was buying a max nano, but decided I wanted a larger tank and upgraded to a max 170 (45gallon).

My question is, with the larger tank is one MP10QD enough? Do I need a second? Or would it be better to get one of those red sea reefwave gyres? Their website says the reefwave 25 is the one to use with the max 170. Thanks!
Just tagged you in a similar post I had on Wednesday...(I opted for both)...

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 170. The gyre is mounted on the overflow.
I think the gyre is a pain to clean. The RS version might be better. Flow is good but maintenance is a pain.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to check the glass thickness with the MP10. If the glass is thicker than recommended it might fall off. I had one in my old 170 and that, with the return pump, was plenty of flow.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends more on what kind of corals you want to keep. Do you have any plans? You can always add more flow. How you scape the tank will have an impact too.

BRS and WWC (and probably others) have started to say that flow is more important than light.

I'm looking to have a LPS with softs like zoanthids. Glass thickness is 1/2".

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to have a LPS with softs like zoanthids. Glass thickness is 1/2".
It might not work.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not work.
Thanks for that information - I think I am going to try a red sea reefwave 25 gyre

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did get it! I actually found that the flow of the stock pump was pretty good and so I kept the gyre on very low power just to get some cross current going. I ended up switching to a Nero 5 though because the gyre chopped up my nem and there isn’t an aftermarket nemguard. Still have the gyre but I don’t use it. No complaints other than my lost nem.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your nem.

How do you like the Nero 5? Are you only running 1?

Btw, thanks for the info, very appreciated.
Nero5 is good and I was able to get a 3rd party nem guard. The app for the Nero 5 is way better than red seas app and I think it’s much easier to control the nero5. However, with the gyre you have more possibilities with directing your flow. That said, I am completely happy with the Nero 5!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back