MP40/60 DIY repairs: where to buy thin shims?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mp40 starting making noise after about 2.5 years. It was clearly the dry side so I disassembled it and noticed a shim bent to hell. Funny thing is, three weeks ago a friend said the same thing but about his mp60 and inquired about finding replacement shims. Since this is my first go at working on these pumps I didn’t know. Since I’ve got it apart, I may as well replace bearings as well (I have 4 pumps total) and order shims and bearings for all 4 at once. I’ve reviewed threads here (all 4 are quiet drives) and have watched the videos on replacement of bearings but none have mentioned having to replace mangled shims. I would assume they’re nothing special and can probably be found at grainger, McMaster-Carr etc?

any other advise on rebuilding a dry side would be appreciated.

thanks

PS: looking at the photo again, is the black shim actually a bearing shield that came loose? I’ve never had one of these apart so I’d like to know before I go ordering parts
Ps,
C256DE3A-0B6C-4EBA-BFD3-E5C88BF09EE3.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I’m unsure as I’ve never rebuilt one. I’m asking around to to a few guys in the club that have worked on them.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i can make out in the picture that mangled shimm looks like a spring washer.
https://www.mcmaster.com/spring-washers/

That was my though as well. Similar to below..
1591289803564.png

As Biglw11 and DiefsReef mentioned already, that is an spring washer and I dont think the noise problem is related to that. That washer goes in the bottom housing and the bearing sits on top of that. Your noise is probably coming from the bearings.
If your going to replace the bearings, take these in consideration:

1- Be careful removing the bearings from the shaft, if you apply pressure to the magnet it will crack very easy.

2- Try to get quality bearings, those in amazon that are 10 pack x $4.99 are not going to be quiet like the one that came with the dry side. Usually the brand of the one in the dry side is NMB.

3- Even with new bearings, the dry side noise will be slightly higher than when the pump was new, but a lot better than the noise you have right now.

Finally there are a few videos on YouTube that will help you with the replacement of the bearings. Hope this help you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Thanks for the info everyone. Looking at boca bearing now for something better the. The amazon choice.

Back