mp40qd's won't connect to the wxm module. what am I not understanding?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok history
i just bought a new mp40qd a few months ago (manuf date of 11-12-2020), I also got a used mp40qd (manuf date of 5-14-2020) that ran on a WXM Module for the apex, from a friend

I installed the new one first, both physically and on the mobius app a few weeks ago before I purchased my apex. now I have installed the apex and the older mp40.

nowhere comes the issue.
prior to adding the older mp40 to the Mobius app, I could link it to the WXM module and control it via my apex dashboard NO PROBLEM, However, I could not attach the newer mp40 to the APEX via the WXM module. despite following this procedure over an over and over again.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

every time, without fail, I tried to perform the very last step, I never, NEVER! GOT OR GET the blue-yellow staus light on the newer pump (manuf date of 11-12-2020). NEVER. preforming this step took me to an INSTANT green light, I found this odd because; the above process worked fine for the older mp40qd. (manuf date of 5-14-2020) no problem

so i decided to shift focus, cause i was :mad:..... I got both pumps operating in a master-slave relationship, in the Mobius app. they work great via the app. :D:D:D:D:D. so I go back to try and sync the pumps with the wxm module and my apex.

now-- remember? the older pump would connect to the wxm!!! but not the new one!!
now both pumps will not attach to the WXM module and I no longer get the blue/yellow status on the older pump, when preforming the very last step, i still get no blue-yellow staus light on the newer and now older pump, they both now go start to INSTANT green light, and the only thing i did was add both pumps to the mobile app.

Capture3.PNG

will someone help me out here, I want apex control/monitoring of these pumps on my dashboard (one-stop-shop control) what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok history
i just bought a new mp40qd a few months ago (manuf date of 11-12-2020), I also got a used mp40qd (manuf date of 5-14-2020) that ran on a WXM Module for the apex, from a friend

I installed the new one first, both physically and on the mobius app a few weeks ago before I purchased my apex. now I have installed the apex and the older mp40.

nowhere comes the issue.
prior to adding the older mp40 to the Mobius app, I could link it to the WXM module and control it via my apex dashboard NO PROBLEM, However, I could not attach the newer mp40 to the APEX via the WXM module. despite following this procedure over an over and over again.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

every time, without fail, I tried to perform the very last step, I never, NEVER! GOT OR GET the blue-yellow staus light on the newer pump (manuf date of 11-12-2020). NEVER. preforming this step took me to an INSTANT green light, I found this odd because; the above process worked fine for the older mp40qd. (manuf date of 5-14-2020) no problem

so i decided to shift focus, cause i was :mad:..... I got both pumps operating in a master-slave relationship, in the Mobius app. they work great via the app. :D:D:D:D:D. so I go back to try and sync the pumps with the wxm module and my apex.

now-- remember? the older pump would connect to the wxm!!! but not the new one!!
now both pumps will not attach to the WXM module and I no longer get the blue/yellow status on the older pump, when preforming the very last step, i still get no blue-yellow staus light on the newer and now older pump, they both now go start to INSTANT green light, and the only thing i did was add both pumps to the mobile app.

Capture3.PNG

will someone help me out here, I want apex control/monitoring of these pumps on my dashboard (one-stop-shop control) what am i doing wrong?

HYG, have to downgrade the firmware, when you connected the old pump to mobius it upgraded the firmware-

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not going to do that. Want to stay current. So is the other uses for the wxm module other than ecotech an Radion lights. Thxs. I can move on now.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downgraded and bought a used WXM just to control the Vortechs. For me it was worth it.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of a WXM just picked up an older mp10. (8-18) If I do get a WXM I do not need the black rf chip do I?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its my understanding Anything made pre 6-2020 should work with the wxm.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you try the Mobius app. That way you don't need the WXM module.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather have everything controlled by my Neptune. Also if I wanted to use Mobius I would have to buy the Rf Chip so instead of buying that I would rather spend a little more for WXM

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that all vortech are compatible with WXM, regardless of the wireless chip (green or black). You just need the correct firmware. I’ve been using my WXM flawlessly for many years and have no desire to mess with it. If mobius adds features that WXM does not have, then I will consider it.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using my WXM flawlessly for many years and have no desire to mess with it.
so you do not have an Ecotech device of light manufactured after 6-2020? that is kinda important to know when you make a comment like that, it would avoid misleading some who are trying to understand this. There is no downgrade firmware option in the Mobius app so I'm not sure how one would perform a downgrade of the current firmware installed on new models of Ecotech devices. that would be a handy link to add here

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you do not have an Ecotech device of light manufactured after 6-2020? that is kinda important to know when you make a comment like that, it would avoid misleading some who are trying to understand this. There is no downgrade firmware option in the Mobius app so I'm not sure how one would perform a downgrade of the current firmware installed on new models of Ecotech devices. that would be a handy link to add here
I added the link above but is only for pumps

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you not actually read what I posted? Your original post was about vortech pumps, as was my comment. Link to the ETM tutorial is also in an earlier post. If you’re now asking about the radion light, then I recall reading that the Gen5 is mobius only (not backwards compatible), but probably worth checking with ETM directly. I have a bunch of the older Gen4 radions, some of which contain the newer black rf module, but I run them all off a reeflink.

Last edited:

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 8 mp40s on my system. Previously (2 years ago) I upgraded one of my pumps to the the new black QDs. It was able to connect to my WXM easily.
Slowly my old ones have been wearing out (they've had a good run, I was happy with the longevity), so I just purchased 3 new MP40QDs. Of course they didn't connect to my WXM module. And now I'm here on this thread. I had no idea that Ecotech and Neptune had parted ways. I'm such and idiot. So frustrating. On to Mobius I guess.......

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still use them on your WXM. There is a way to do it and I’m sure someone here can explain. I put the older chip into my Mp10 and it works with my WXM. I prefer having them on my Neptune rather than Mobius.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 8 mp40s on my system. Previously (2 years ago) I upgraded one of my pumps to the the new black QDs. It was able to connect to my WXM easily.
Slowly my old ones have been wearing out (they've had a good run, I was happy with the longevity), so I just purchased 3 new MP40QDs. Of course they didn't connect to my WXM module. And now I'm here on this thread. I had no idea that Ecotech and Neptune had parted ways. I'm such and idiot. So frustrating. On to Mobius I guess.......
I posted in this thread how to downgrade the firmware, new pumps work perfect on wxm. Only takes a few minutes

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in this thread how to downgrade the firmware, new pumps work perfect on wxm. Only takes a few minutes
Just out of curiosity, does the pump need to be installed on a tank to do this, or can you do with with the driver just plugged in? I have the MP40 but not the actual tank yet and was thinking I could check this off the to-do list.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, does the pump need to be installed on a tank to do this, or can you do with with the driver just plugged in? I have the MP40 but not the actual tank yet and was thinking I could check this off the to-do list.

just the driver

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add the previous poster above was incorrect when they said built pre-June of 20. Here's the deal, if you connect MP's built prior to that date to mobius at any time and upgrade the firmware you will have to go back through the rollback process to work on WXM. I had to do this for 4 MP40's and an MP10. Built post June 20 you will also have to roll them back

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also reached out to ecotech directly. Here's their answer and the link to the video in their email response. Basically the same as what everyone here is saying. Will try this tonight.

"QuietDrive VorTech and Vectra built after 6/1/20, will have Mobius firmware preloaded. We do not recommend performing a firmware rollback unless you already have a large group of devices controlled via the ReefLink in EcoSmart Live or via the Neptune Apex. If you plan to control your device via the Neptune WXM module, you will need to perform this firmware downgrade procedure as well. The process can take up to 20 minutes and it's very important to be patient during this time. Do not unplug the controller for any reason, and leave the controller undisturbed for 20-30 minutes after the update completes.

The video below will demonstrate the firmware downgrade procedure.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back