Mp60= fish loss.....users unite!!!!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys lost any fish with these beasts yet???? Man I lost my copperband then one day standing next to the tank my wrasse came up to say hi and bam sucked him right up I was able to turn it off and save him that time..... Got up this morning and my wrasse was stuck again this time it was to late...:(

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Do they come with the little foam covers like the 40s? Not sure it would even make a difference with the amount of flow these things put out, but might keep fish from getting sucked all the way in

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've woken up to a few fish stuck to my vortecs. 90% of the time they were fish that I had been watching for a few days. The fish that looked as if they were not doing well.

I have healthy fish playing very close to my pumps and they seem to enjoy the suck and blow of my pumps. The weak fish seem to always be pinned to the pump.

I don't run 60s, but have sold a few and know how big they are. I can only imagine the force of that suction. I also recommend the foam even though its a P.I.A. to clean them every 2 or 3 days.

Kevin

Sent from my Droid.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that really sucks.... doesn't the mp60 come with mesh like padding that can be put around the wet side where it intakes? I never used mine but the mp10 brought it! I'm not sure if it's gonna protect from the suction but I'm sure it'll prevent them from hitting the propeller at least!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they got the foam covers.... I haven't used them yet but Planned on it.... Nothing ever makes it to prop luckily they just get sucked up against the side and once there pinned on there, there is no getting them off when the pump is on....

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sorry to hear that, too bad you couldn't put a little box around it or a little plastic cage to allow water in and out but the cage is far enough away from the pump that they don't get sucked in. just be something else to have to clean and it might not look good, just a thought though.
greg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
claimed another life...... me little prized nemo, my daughter don't know yet...:( man my female clown is tripping now it was the male when i turned the vortec off the female swam over and pulled him away i lifted his lifeless body out of the water and set him on the euro and the female went crazy poking her head out of the water and even jumped at the end..."poor thing" i actually felt really bad i wasn't even really attached to them but the actions of the female had me really trippin.....:sad:

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really got me with the female being so upset bad enough to lose fish but when their mates start getting upset makes you want to cry

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that really sucks to hear. No pun intended. I know a few people have asked me to build something to hide those beasts. Maybe I should get on it. Could even save a fishes life. I know I can find it if I look but I am lazy right now. Can anyone give me the footprint of the wet end on these? I'll try to build something to save your fish.

Scott

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a bummer to hear - guess that answers the question of whether we can actually have too much flow in a reef tank. Hopefully you all can figure out a way to cover those bad boys.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man thats sad.. Not a fish guy but can u just put another male in there?

claimed another life...... me little prized nemo, my daughter don't know yet...:( man my female clown is tripping now it was the male when i turned the vortec off the female swam over and pulled him away i lifted his lifeless body out of the water and set him on the euro and the female went crazy poking her head out of the water and even jumped at the end..."poor thing" i actually felt really bad i wasn't even really attached to them but the actions of the female had me really trippin.....:sad:

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man thats sad.. Not a fish guy but can u just put another male in there?

Yeah I can but from my exp it's a hit or miss.... She will either take to it or kill it...:( arrrr I think I will give the female away and get me a new pair of snowcassos maybe I don't know I really want a sick pair of grade "a" Picasso lol.... These were labeled as jigsaws and the female is very good looking maybe I can try and find a good male...

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no fish loss with my 2 mp60s. I can see how that could happen though.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some custom rock covers I have seen for the MP40s. I don't know if anyone makes them for the 60s yet though. May be something to look into , or maybe the intake side needs to be a little larger to reduse the point force of suction... Seems like it's either a design flaw or you have sick fish. I'd lean towards design flaw though as I've seen pics of your awesome tanks!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some custom rock covers I have seen for the MP40s. I don't know if anyone makes them for the 60s yet though. May be something to look into , or maybe the intake side needs to be a little larger to reduse the point force of suction... Seems like it's either a design flaw or you have sick fish. I'd lean towards design flaw though as I've seen pics of your awesome tanks!

gooch is the guy that makes them ;)

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can definitely see how it could happen. Copperbands are so thin they are just an accident waiting to happen with the 60's. I lost 2 of them on my old 40's but they weren't doing well. Haven't lost any with the 60's yet and hope I don't. Sorry to hear about your clown - that's really sad how the female was trying to get to him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back