Mr.Aqua 11.4 Gallon College Dorm Tank

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted on R2R in a while but the current pandemic is leaving me with a little more time on my hands so I figured I should start a build thread for my college dorm tank! I am a rising sophomore at FSU and have been keeping my reef tank in the dorm for my first year of college. I downgraded to this tank from the jbj 45 I kept in high school because the max size tank you can have in the dorm is 30 gallons (Plus the 7 hour car ride home and moving in and out of the dorm doesn't help). I had no idea how the tank was going to do with the neglect and lack of tlc it was going to get while at college but the tank surprisingly responded well to the transition. The equipment on the tank is two little hydor powerheads, an aquaclear hob filter with some marine pure bio balls from the old tank, and an AI hydra 26 hd. I dose vibrant every week or so but that is about it. I just let the tank do its thing and enjoy staring at it! The tank is a mix of coral but it is zoa heavy, some of the zoas I have: Sunny Ds, Green radioactive dragon eyes, candy apple reds, wwc purple monster, madarins, blondies, JF cry babies, La Lakers, wwc twizzlers, jawbreaker hornets, bam bams, CB rainbow infusion palys. Here are some pictures, thanks for checking out my tank!
tank.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank 3.jpg
tank 4.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is a WOW!!! Your tank and corals are beautiful!!:)

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I try to do a 1 to 2 gallon water change once a week with rodi and reef crystals salt mix. However, when I get busy the tank has gone as long as three weeks without a water change and the corals don't seem to mind. I have an ato from my previous tank but I never set it up and have just been topping the tank off manually every day or two.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy rodi or do you have a portable unit you can hook up to a water source in the dorms?

My son is across the state at UT. He never had an interest in keeping fish (he and his housemates prefer tp catch them). So I am very curious how one would supply rodi in a dorm situation. It's not like the bookstore carries it or if you can access the University's plumbing.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily my dorm room has a sink with the type of fitting to where I can unscrew the faucet aerator and hook up the rodi with one of the fittings that came with it. I didn't know if it was going to fit the sink or not so I figured worse case scenario the laundry room on the bottom floor of the dorm building has a utility sink that i could hook it up to.

Moe Greene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted on R2R in a while but the current pandemic is leaving me with a little more time on my hands so I figured I should start a build thread for my college dorm tank! I am a rising sophomore at FSU and have been keeping my reef tank in the dorm for my first year of college. I downgraded to this tank from the jbj 45 I kept in high school because the max size tank you can have in the dorm is 30 gallons (Plus the 7 hour car ride home and moving in and out of the dorm doesn't help). I had no idea how the tank was going to do with the neglect and lack of tlc it was going to get while at college but the tank surprisingly responded well to the transition. The equipment on the tank is two little hydor powerheads, an aquaclear hob filter with some marine pure bio balls from the old tank, and an AI hydra 26 hd. I dose vibrant every week or so but that is about it. I just let the tank do its thing and enjoy staring at it! The tank is a mix of coral but it is zoa heavy, some of the zoas I have: Sunny Ds, Green radioactive dragon eyes, candy apple reds, wwc purple monster, madarins, blondies, JF cry babies, La Lakers, wwc twizzlers, jawbreaker hornets, bam bams, CB rainbow infusion palys. Here are some pictures, thanks for checking out my tank!
tank.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank 3.jpg
tank 4.jpg
Great looking tank & go Noles .........
PlumpHandsomeAlbertosaurus-max-1mb.gif

MediocreFamiliarCony-small.gif

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank 3.jpg
tank 4.jpg
Nice any bonus points with the biology classes

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet bro! I’ve thought about putting a tank in my dorm room but haven’t pulled the trigger on it. Luckly I only live about a half hour from my university so I come home to see them often.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet bro! I’ve thought about putting a tank in my dorm room but haven’t pulled the trigger on it. Luckly I only live about a half hour from my university so I come home to see them often.
That is nice to be so close to home, I am about a 6 and a half hour drive so it was either take the tank down or bring it with me, and I'm glad I did!

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a torch coral from WWC since shipping was only 10 bucks for me. Love Euphyllia but haven’t had any in my tank since they all melted off in my old 45 gallon one after another. Also added a couple little make shift frag racks. The wwc purple monster zoas definitely have nicer coloration towards the top of my tank (ones further back on frag rack were just moved from the bottom of the tank).
B0CDEA8A-602A-444E-B55B-73F2DB930946.jpeg

Sweetreef21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank man!! Goes to show you dont need a elaborate setup to be successful. Looking forward to more pics.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose anything or just rely on the weekly small water changes? Crazy on that limited amount of filtration (hob filter) shows your rock is helping - only 1 fish?

nice tank!!

Back