Mr. Bobbitt worm come out and play!

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hop
Look at this forum a little bit more and I can assure you , you will get your beauty sooner or later, and maybe some more from the abyss,;)
Hopefully lol thankyou. 2 seconds too late seems to be my specialty " ooh man i wish you couldve asked earlier i just flushed it down the toilet"

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking down one of my systems and this guy decides to go free swimming right next to my hand.
02A90EA4-36DA-4770-8441-589A5CE60BCA.jpeg
5089F090-F60B-4432-A6AD-37B66A1561D2.jpeg
Neat! Haven't seen a black one!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 100% a predator attacking whatever gets close enough to their jaws, I posted a video of this a little while back let me see if I can find it.
My 3-foot plus specimen is mostly vegetarian. Although it will eat meat it does not attack anything in the tank

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hop

Hopefully lol thankyou. 2 seconds too late seems to be my specialty " ooh man i wish you couldve asked earlier i just flushed it down the toilet"
Don't give up man took me a little while but I finally got a decent size specimen. Although my 3-inch Hobbit is really cool if I could ever find him. Lol

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of course this thread is seared into my brain. I asked my wife if she wanted to see, she says ok. Three minutes later she looks at me and says "do you have any of those in your tank?!" I said "babe if I find one of those in my tank I'm going to light the house on fire." She said "deal!"

Haha

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of course this thread is seared into my brain. I asked my wife if she wanted to see, she says ok. Three minutes later she looks at me and says "do you have any of those in your tank?!" I said "babe if I find one of those in my tank I'm going to light the house on fire." She said "deal!"

Haha
Send it to me then set your house on fire XD

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I hate worms in tanks, for some reason they just creep me out when I see them. This thing, if I saw one in my tank I would freak man! It would consume my life and dreams until it was out. I have literally dreamed about bristle worms before, multiple times.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything (I'm not an expert in these things)I have read ;Bookworm the eunicids inject a toxin ;Jawdrop into their prey, which stuns or kills it, such that prey much larger than the worm itself can be eaten and digested. Another family of polychaete worms, the fireworms (Amphinomidae), have harpoon-shaped chaetae (bristles) that release a toxin that can cause severe skin irritation, but in E. aphroditois, the chaetae are used only for grip when crawling over sediment.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything (I'm not an expert in these things)I have read ;Bookworm the eunicids inject a toxin ;Jawdrop into their prey, which stuns or kills it, such that prey much larger than the worm itself can be eaten and digested. Another family of polychaete worms, the fireworms (Amphinomidae), have harpoon-shaped chaetae (bristles) that release a toxin that can cause severe skin irritation, but in E. aphroditois, the chaetae are used only for grip when crawling over sediment.

Well the article on wired that wiki cites only has a quote from a guy who thinks that might be possible.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the article on wired that wiki cites only has a quote from a guy who thinks that might be possible.
Feel free to share what you know, would differently be interested.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was just a 60g frag tank, connect to a bigger system. In total 360ish gallons.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've shared all I know...lol. It is very rare for an actual Bobbitt worm to be a hitchhiker (only two confirmed reports) and that wikipedia article misstates what is said in the Wired article. I can also state that if someone had an actual 3 foot long Eunice aphroditois in their tank they would know it. I guess all that's left to decide among hobbyists is if they just want to refer to all Eunicids as Bobbitt worms now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back