Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a new saga begins...
After 2 failed attempts at a 220 gallon tank, I'm going full power towards perfection. This build will be a culmination of 5 years of experience and hardships, hopefully budding into something beautiful. Thank you for following along on my journey.

The tank will be installed next week, and I will have my livestock back in it by next Friday at latest. I am feeling some serious yes vibes right now!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Update!
Today me and my brother successfully removed &broke down the old stand and the floor is now completely clear! Surprisingly, the floor beneath the stand is actually in quite amazing shape, considering its' had an aquarium on it for the past 2 years! The plan is to finish painting the wall the tank sits up against, then go get the 125 from the LFS along with water and some new sand. I'll also have to get a handing mount for the lights as well.
I'm excited for the weeks to come!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW UPDATE!
PICS COMING LATER TODAY.
So yesterday I picked up the new stand and shimmed it into place. In an hour or so I'll be going to get the tank itself and install it! It wont have water for at least another day, but it will be in the house, which is something!
I don't think you know quite how excited I am about this all. This tank is almost the exact tank I looked in to getting 2.5 years ago, before we got the first 220. It turns out the tank comes with a super fancy TriggerSystems sump (That just so magically happens to be able to fit my mammoth skimmer lol).
I will see you all later today, until next time God bless!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW UPDATE!
Forgive my font variance these last few posts lol
So, I have the tank in now! Lights are mounted, pumps are in place, sump is plumbed, all that's left is to get it wet! I'm hoping to do a higher energy reef this time, higher flow maybe and more acros. I took pics last night and today, I'll share them all. I also have an update for the junk pool if interested.

EDIT: Well, never mind lol My computer refuses to read my camera memory card, so pics will have to wait 'till tomorrow.
See you then!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun filling the tank! I filled the sump last night (20 gallons RO, salt mixed) and all day today I will be filling the main display. Anything I haven't filled by Wednesday I will buy from my LFS (They are closed on Tuesday). I'm so excited!

I feel lately I've been getting confirmation that this was the right move, getting a new tank. Every sibling who has come over has been floored by just the empty tank! The last tank was kind of ugly (both stand & glass) and it's very refreshing to have a pretty stand.
I'll try to upload pics, my memory card doesn't want to be read for some reason so I've got to sort that out. Until next time, God belss!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!

The tank has been running for 9 days today! I have every coral I own (minus some immovable shrooms in the Junk Pool) in the 125 officially. My LTA is home as well, he isn't looking his best (he opened up seconds after I took the picture lol) but he is getting used to the new tank. All three of the Acanthophyllias are in the tank now and are looking great!
The little green fungia is a gift from a employee at my LFS. He offered it to me a few weeks ago and I already owed him plants (I grow Pinguicula and others) so I brought his plants in one day and he gave me that little tyke! In the pic you can't tell, by it's a double mouther!
I just started to get some dinos, but they are not serious and have already started subsiding.
In the next week of so I expect a shipment to come in from the gulf. In the shipment I have some NPS stuff for the Junk Pool, but I also have a fish for the 125. Some of you may know what it already but I'm going to wait until it arrives to tell the rest of you ;)
The fish are looking wonderful right now, all beautiful and eating well! I may get one or two new wrasses in the coming months, but this level of stocking looks really good in the tank.
Well, I'll see you all when the shipment comes in. Until then, stay safe and God bless you!

IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1714.JPG

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great. That’s such a shame about the 210. I couldn’t imagine going through that. I saw those sand dollars from your other build thread. That is so cool, I have never seen them in a reef tank before. How did they end up doing?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great. That’s such a shame about the 210. I couldn’t imagine going through that. I saw those sand dollars from your other build thread. That is so cool, I have never seen them in a reef tank before. How did they end up doing?
Thank you, yeah it was not fun but if I'm being honest it was the best thing that could have happened. That tank was a ticking time bomb and if it didn't start the leak then, I would have about 200 gallons of water flooding my basement by now lol
The sand dollars I got from https://www.gulfspecimen.org, check them out when you get the chance they stock some crazy stuff! In the long run, the tiniest one died first, then the next one up and then ultimately after about a month or two the giant one started shedding spines and died. I think they survive off of copopods and worms in the substrate, I bet if I had given them food directly I would still have them today! They were very awesome when I had them for sure, I would recommend them as a fun challenge lol

Last edited:

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on the note of Gulf Specimen, I just got a shipping confirmation for a large shipment! It has both stuff for this tank and the Junk Pool so I'll share photos when the stuff arrives.
Awesome, looking forward to see the goodies!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit of an off-topic post, but I wanted to share some of my other passions with you all.
I took a lap around my yard & house and took pics of my carnivorous (and other) plants, enjoy!

These first ones are Sarracenia leucophylla pitcher plants, growing on a retaining wall near my garage. You may also see my brother's sawdust pile in the background lol
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG

Next round is of my Pinguicula garden in my desk. The bushy thing is a Nepenthes ventricosa, and the little sundew is a hitchhiker Drosera capensis. I recently gave some duplicate Pings away to an LFS worker who's getting in to CP's (carnivorous plants).
IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG

I hope you all enjoy these pics! It's nice sharing some other aspects of my life that aren't touched on too often.
Cheers and God bless!

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit of an off-topic post, but I wanted to share some of my other passions with you all.
I took a lap around my yard & house and took pics of my carnivorous (and other) plants, enjoy!

These first ones are Sarracenia leucophylla pitcher plants, growing on a retaining wall near my garage. You may also see my brother's sawdust pile in the background lol
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG

Next round is of my Pinguicula garden in my desk. The bushy thing is a Nepenthes ventricosa, and the little sundew is a hitchhiker Drosera capensis. I recently gave some duplicate Pings away to an LFS worker who's getting in to CP's (carnivorous plants).
IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG

I hope you all enjoy these pics! It's nice sharing some other aspects of my life that aren't touched on too often.
Cheers and God bless!
Beautiful, that first pitcher plant is amazing!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipment came in today! Here's a sneak peek of what I got, I'll do a more detailed post in the Junk Pool thread when everything is acclimated to that tank. The fish is going in the 125 though.
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I have no idea at all....how big does that fish get in captivity? Never seen one in a hobbyist tank before. Is this going to be a predator tank?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I have no idea at all....how big does that fish get in captivity? Never seen one in a hobbyist tank before. Is this going to be a predator tank?
They only get to a max size of about 4-5", and they have small mouths so they aren't a big risk to inverts or fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back