Mucus Reaction

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 gallon biocube is 8 weeks old, everything has been pretty smooth. 3 fish, 5 snails, 1 hermit, 5 corals. I have been feeding pellets and mysis. Decided today to try target feeding corals with reef roids. Mixed it with a little tank water and turned off all the flow. The 2 zoas and the green star polyp clearly loved it. The hollywood stunner and the frogspawn excreted a bunch of mucus, but overall seemed ok except for the snot rocket. It kind of stayed attached for awhile, and they may have drawn some of it back in, but some of it clearly broke away. The royal gramma ate some. He seemed to like it. It did not look like sweeper tentacles, but then again I have never seen one in person. I am not overly worried about it but wondered if this was a common reaction. Thanks for your thoughts!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mucus could be a feeding or a stress response. I've never had a chalice slime up though. With that new of a tank I'd be careful with feeding to much right now. A light broadcast is all you need once a week at the most with that water volume.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mucus could be a feeding or a stress response. I've never had a chalice slime up though. With that new of a tank I'd be careful with feeding to much right now. A light broadcast is all you need once a week at the most with that water volume.

Gotcha, I was target feeding with an apparatus that put it right on them. The frog spawn never did retract, but I can see how that was a bit much for them. I will tone it down and broadcast feed once a week for awhile and see how t goes. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frog spawn has slowly been deteriorating over the last week. Polyps have been bailing out 2 or 3 at a time. This morning the last few were gone. I reckon it is dead. Should I leave the skeleton in the tank for the minerals?

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chalice loves reef roids. When I feed I will turn off all flow and just dump it on top of it using a syringe. The same thing happens with the mucous. Every bit of reef roids that touches it ends up sticks to this mat of mucous.

When I turn back on the flow it lifts off of the chalice but the chalice continues to draw this mucous mat full of roids into its mouth. I’ve had this mat be a couple inches Long before and have watch it slowly devour the entire thing.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chalice loves reef roids. When I feed I will turn off all flow and just dump it on top of it using a syringe. The same thing happens with the mucous. Every bit of reef roids that touches it ends up sticks to this mat of mucous.

When I turn back on the flow it lifts off of the chalice but the chalice continues to draw this mucous mat full of roids into its mouth. I’ve had this mat be a couple inches Long before and have watch it slowly devour the entire thing.

That is cool, and gross...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back