Mucus when target feeding LPS

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a system with a few corals and no fish. The corals seem happy until is time to feed them. I use reef roids Per instructions and spot feed all of them. The Duncans close and start expelling a significant amount of mucus immediately after. Two questions: is this mucus an expected normal behavior or a defense mechanism? In other words, am I harming them with direct feeding? In the picture you can see a floating piece of this mucus. Is it harmful for other corals if it were to land on top of them?

5118F20F-1C5E-499E-8ACE-3CDE4A128531.jpeg

squaretwelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen, this is a pretty normal reaction. That said, the only LPS I personally target feed are micromussa and homophyllia corals since all the others tend to have a reaction similar to this.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you touching them with whatever you're using to target feed? That looks like what happens to my coral when I'm messing around and accidentally knock a coral with something...

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you touching them with whatever you're using to target feed? That looks like what happens to my coral when I'm messing around and accidentally knock a coral with something...

Not touching them at all. Just releasing the reef roids mixed with tank water directly on top of them

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I understand the mucus is a part of the feeding response. You may be turning your flow on too quickly and they aren’t having a chance to eat what your feeding.
I usually wait 45 min to make sure my chalices get something.
I also mix mine pretty darn thick.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you turn off all flow? they use the mucous to transfer particle food to the mouth as the tentacles can't really grab particles. if you then have flow it'll blow the mucous off creating stringy messes. if you really need to target feed particle foods then turn off all water movement to avoid waste like this.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lobo does this and than slurps it all back in

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I spot feed slimes up like this. It doesn’t look good

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my LPS corals(duncans, acans, leptastrea, etc.) LRS nano reef frenzy. I gently squirt small chunks of it on to the polyps with a 10 ml syringe with a long plastic straw in it. They swallow it just like a anemone. I do this 2-3 times a week. After feeding the corals I spend the next 10 minutes or so chasing the sharks(fish in my tanks) away. Always kills me that not all the food gets caught by the corals, but fish don't want that food they want what the coral got only to spit it out after stealing it from the coral. Helps I work at a hospital, bottom syringe is for sucking algae out of tank.
IMG_0408.JPG

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed my LPS corals(duncans, acans, leptastrea, etc.) LRS nano reef frenzy. I gently squirt small chunks of it on to the polyps with a 10 ml syringe with a long plastic straw in it. They swallow it just like a anemone. I do this 2-3 times a week. After feeding the corals I spend the next 10 minutes or so chasing the sharks(fish in my tanks) away. Always kills me that not all the food gets caught by the corals, but fish don't want that food they want what the coral got only to spit it out after stealing it from the coral. Helps I work at a hospital, bottom syringe is for sucking algae out of tank.
IMG_0408.JPG
where did you get the tiny straws

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place I worked where I got them from closed and after working there for 20 years and at 62 years old I had to find a new job. This is what I can get at the new place. The straw is about 7 inches after you cut off the j loop.
IMG_0409.JPG

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The place I worked where I got them from closed and after working there for 20 years and at 62 years old I had to find a new job. This is what I can get at the new place. The straw is about 7 inches after you cut off the j loop.
IMG_0409.JPG
thanks and sorry to hear that. my daughter is an oncology nurse, i will ask her.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's how the corals collect and consume the small particles.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issue will hold off turning the flow on for 45 mins after feeding (I feed with pump and flow off) and report.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back