the best grower has been in the highest light and is a very active eater.
I need to epoxy around the favia's skeleton and remove the tube worms so it can droop it's flesh down to the base.
The chalice has been fairly slow growing, but I will note that the past month it's been extending a single feeder tentacle at each mouth whereas it's never done this behavior before (no tentacles). So I expect the chalice to start growing faster now that it can capture food more effectively.
I think both favias are the same species... (or they are goniastrea).
Overall very happy with the general recovery of all the corals, you can see exposed skeleton and algae in the original pictures, which is gone now and they are all growing.
I look back at the pictures taken a year ago and I can't believe how time flies. Some of the corals have grown some have hardly budged. Algae has taken hold again, and Aiptasia found its way into the tank. I'm having some success with kalk-paste, and I have a squad of peppermint shrimp on standby in the QT tank. Challenges were a likely alk spike exacerbated by return flow on the SPS, so they got hit pretty hard and almost all of them got damaged. The Miyagi tort is still kicking, but algae is trying to overtake the other tort, the monti setosa and the monti spongoides. I'm basically trying to manually remove as much algae as I can and get my refugium chaeto back online. The chaeto is starting to grow well, I just have to keep up my end of the bargain and trim/siphon as much algae as I can from the display.
I've recently undertaken some rescapes to improve water flow both in the middle top of the tank and the middle back. Basically I removed a rock that was "bookending" the gyre pattern, so that detritus can no longer build up back there. Salinity tested today at just under 34ppt, and I did a water change with 5gal of 36ppt water.
I'll try to post some photos soon once I get the glass finished off.
I'm digging out of a big hole but I think my corals are willing and attempting to recover. Reefing is hard with a puffer.
Oh yeah, and basically my entire cleanup crew except Urchin and 2 cowries died during this last "crash." I really have no idea what happened. It could have been multiple factors, I mean I do have ideas but I cannot say for certain.
My refugium light was rusting and I had an aggressive kalkwasser dosing schedule which likely lead to alkalinity spikes. It could have been a cascade effect once one or two of the snails died, but since the cowries survived and 1 ghost shrimp, I don't think it was copper or heavy metals that killed my inverts. I think it was the alkalinity.
I've attached GSP to the back wall hoping it will grow well and color up the rear glass/rock.
still battling aiptasia (its causing troubles for some corals like the dragon soul goni, and sps), I have 4 peppermint shrimp in QT that I'll move over very soon.
I just did a serious hair algae trimming (2 or 3 rounds of it) hours at a time just snipping away at all the hair algae with a siphon tube to suck it into a filter sock. It takes a really, really long time to do it and it's very difficult to reach every nook and cranny. I've almost gotten to every reachable surface, so I have 1 more session before I think I'm finished for now (manual removal). Once I cut the hair algae, the urchin moves over the rock and cleans it; so hopefully we can tag team this.
various thoughts about a lot of the corals, but the bottom line now is I need to get the alkalinity in check so that I can get some calcification going. I'm sure my low alk is a big reason why there's hardly any coralline crustose algae.