Multibar Angel Success?

BRS

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One of my dream fish since I started keeping saltwater has been the multibar angel, Paracentropyge multifasciata. I had a few back when they were cheap, but I was inexperienced and disease got one, starvation got the other. From the look of things, it seems they rarely (if ever) eat in captivity. Is there anyone here that has had long-term success with them? I'm willing to give a couple more individuals a go, but I hate condemning such a beautiful fish if it's basically impossible (which it can't be, Biota breeds them, right?)

Avast

albano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had a pair for more than a year, in a 450g tank with approx 70-80 fish, including 2 dwarf angels… lost when tank seam split …
Good luck finding some, haven’t seen any in awhile, have orders in with a couple of vendors. They do require a more ‘experienced’ reefer.

pretty sure that the pair came from Divers Den
1626218129675.jpeg

o2manyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have kept them for years. They need a tank with enough live food in it for them not to have to worry about what you drop in the top. They do really well in my outdoor frag tanks where they can just pick pods off the frag racks all day long. I have had them pair up but not see them spawn. They also seem to do well in groups of 3 or 4.

Dave B

Avast
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have kept them for years. They need a tank with enough live food in it for them not to have to worry about what you drop in the top. They do really well in my outdoor frag tanks where they can just pick pods off the frag racks all day long. I have had them pair up but not see them spawn. They also seem to do well in groups of 3 or 4.

Dave B
I read that they like to be in groups awhile ago, but when I tried to get 3 at once they absolutely shredded each other, and that was in a 5 foot tank. Maybe I just got unlucky? Of course that was when they were the same price as most common dwarf angels. Looking for them on websites, the cheapest I found was around 150...

OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had a pair for more than a year, in a 450g tank with approx 70-80 fish, including 2 dwarf angels… lost when tank seam split …
Good luck finding some, haven’t seen any in awhile, have orders in with a couple of vendors. They do require a more ‘experienced’ reefer.

1626218129675.jpeg
I actually got one through the store I work at this week, and even though it wasn't cheap. As luck would have it, it appears to be one from the Marshall Islands, with faint yellow bars between it's black ones. From what I've read, they seem to be treated the best in transport and are more likely to survive. Wish me luck.

OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I actually got one through the store I work at this week, and even though it wasn't cheap. As luck would have it, it appears to be one from the Marshall Islands, with faint yellow bars between it's black ones. From what I've read, they seem to be treated the best in transport and are more likely to survive. Wish me luck.
Also, how did you go about getting them to eat prepared foods? Any tricks/specific foods?

OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Dave B
So you never had any take frozen foods?

OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

1626218129675.jpeg
Any tricks for getting them on prepared foods?

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

albano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Any tricks for getting them on prepared foods?
I started them in a separate frag tank, filled with pods…feed some live brine, and eventually they ate frozen brine and mysis.

OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don't want this thread to encourage people to try to keep this fish if they aren't prepared for it by the way, the fish is definitely one of the most difficult I've dealt with in terms of acclimating them to captivity, having had about 5 of them and none of them eating anything. Think twice about it.

BRS

When is the last time you purchased cleanup crew critters?

• Past few days

Votes: 53 11.6%
  • Past few weeks

Votes: 125 27.4%
  • Past few months

Votes: 151 33.0%
  • Over a half a year

Votes: 63 13.8%
  • Over a year ago

Votes: 61 13.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.9%