Multiple Assortment of Bounce Shrooms Same System? How long?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to gather info on how many of you are running different bounce shrooms in/on same system.
How many different bounces are you running and how long?
Have you seen issues when introducing new bounce shrooms?
Are you finding success running certain bounce shrooms together and not so great with others?
I've had many failures running multiple bounces together.
Im convinced like certain nems they simply don't play well with eachother and will resort to chemical warfare often. Ive tried separating to different tables. Ive tried certain bounces with certain bounces and have had some success but ultimately I feel one will out compete the other.
Ive been wanting to chalk it up to they are just highly susceptible to bacterial infections. Which I believe may be true.
But have witnessed many times where everything and everyone will be just fine. For months. Some close to a year and half..
Then Ill see a couple or all randomly deflate, skimmers get crazy ,expell zooaxthelle and never fails within a month or 2 end up doing the melt dance for no apparent reason.
I have multiple assortment of shrooms. Never had another species melt on me.
No others are phased during these events.
Either bounce shrooms really are highly susceptible to bacterial infections that other shrooms aren't but I don't feel this is the case.
Maybe @AquaBiomics or anyone for that matter can shed light if any studies have been done on bounce shrooms a susceptibility for bacterial infections?
I feel like some of the other shrooms should have ended up with at least some symptoms or death if its bacterial.
Its wierd if it is chemical warfare it does not bother other species of shrooms.
What are your thoughts and have you experienced same scenarios with bounces?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bounce mushroom dominated lagoon 25 probably like 12 different types of bounce mushrooms in there at the moment it is a newer system so far no issues… feed 2 times a week, no skimmer, I run Rowaphos, starting to run a tad bit of carbon and my tank is Parred out and running heavy blues lol no issues everyone has been in there for 1-2 months together now…. I have a wide assortment from bouncing discosoma, to bouncing st Thomas, and of course bouncing rhodactis…. I do have a few zoas and high end blastos sprinkled in there but mostly a mushroom tank… I keep iodine, Furan 2, and chemiclean on hand… anything starts to act up it goes in a dip or the tank gets a chemi clean treatment nothing thus far though knock on wood

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bounce mushroom dominated lagoon 25 probably like 12 different types of bounce mushrooms in there at the moment it is a newer system so far no issues… feed 2 times a week, no skimmer, I run Rowaphos, starting to run a tad bit of carbon and my tank is Parred out and running heavy blues lol no issues everyone has been in there for 1-2 months together now…. I have a wide assortment from bouncing discosoma, to bouncing st Thomas, and of course bouncing rhodactis…. I do have a few zoas and high end blastos sprinkled in there but mostly a mushroom tank… I keep iodine, Furan 2, and chemiclean on hand… anything starts to act up it goes in a dip or the tank gets a chemi clean treatment nothing thus far though knock on wood
Awesome thanks for reply. Yes I started out pretty much same way and from sounds of it run my system very similar. Would love to hear back in 6-12 months and see how everything is working out.
Any idea on how much par?
Nutrient levels?
I do run a skimmer.
Brs reccomended schedule for v2+ so blue dominant.
I'm hoping to start feeding the same way here soon now that have algae issues and Nutrient levels under control
15-20 Nitrates
Pushing for .1 Phosphates but ok if they are at least detectable but not taking any chances.
I've had mine beast out for up to year and little over and same thing.
Like I said its like little bomb goes off. Skimmer gets crazy.. And sure enough they drop out.
Toxic bounce made it all the way through it until recently screwed that up with lighting.
I cant think of any other reason than chemical warfare at this point.
No other shrooms, zoas, anything else has ever been affected.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I took these with an apogee mq-510 I have it on a 40% reduction so take those values and I use 60% of that lol everything does great!
Nitrates between 15-20 and phos- .1-.3 max

I use tropic Marin pro salt, I try and keep alk at 8 and everything else at about the same as tropic Marin… 1.026 salinity for me

Attachments

• FF92D8E2-FD38-401C-8841-D7778E9D2224.jpeg
    FF92D8E2-FD38-401C-8841-D7778E9D2224.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I took these with an apogee mq-510 I have it on a 40% reduction so take those values and I use 60% of that lol everything does great!
Nitrates between 15-20 and phos- .1-.3 max

I use tropic Marin pro salt, I try and keep alk at 8 and everything else at about the same as tropic Marin… 1.026 salinity for me
Right on I haven't checked my alk in probably a year. Whatever RC mixes to @ 1.025 id imagine. I just got the regular IO i believe that mixes a little lower. Been talking about it for awhile now maybe I should get alk down to 8-9 and see if it makes a difference. My PH has been pretty solid for cpl month now running 8.3 and swings down to 8.1 never lower these days. Prior to skimmer upgrade was running 7.8-8 ish.
If my failure with bounces is something I'm doing id certainly like to know so I can correct it. I'm at a loss with it honestly. I've ran across alot of research claiming bounces and rhodactis are highly prone to bacterial infections. Idk if they are super sensitive to a certain pathogen that doesn't affect other corals or what.
The part with my skimmer going crazy during these events is whats puzzling.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on I haven't checked my alk in probably a year. Whatever RC mixes to @ 1.025 id imagine. I just got the regular IO i believe that mixes a little lower. Been talking about it for awhile now maybe I should get alk down to 8-9 and see if it makes a difference. My PH has been pretty solid for cpl month now running 8.3 and swings down to 8.1 never lower these days. Prior to skimmer upgrade was running 7.8-8 ish.
If my failure with bounces is something I'm doing id certainly like to know so I can correct it. I'm at a loss with it honestly. I've ran across alot of research claiming bounces and rhodactis are highly prone to bacterial infections. Idk if they are super sensitive to a certain pathogen that doesn't affect other corals or what.
The part with my skimmer going crazy during these events is whats puzzling.
One of the reason I’m willing to bet is your alk… alk is hands down the most important of the major elements.. just cause they don’t create a skeleton doesn’t mean they don’t consume alk.. in a week my tank can drop almost a full dkh point which is a lot and I have no coralline algae growth lol all my softie dominated tanks consume alk decently well If I don’t keep it stable I start to lose the sensitive stuff… I have smaller tanks with my biggest being a 50 lagoon… I use all for reef cause it works for me…. Main reason I don’t use other salts is I’m ocd about knowing what’s in my tank and I hate cleaning buckets and pumps but I love when they’re clean lol… alk is very important for softies too.. I also feed with vit C soaked foods, idk if it does anything but just a preventative measure I guess…

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reason I’m willing to bet is your alk… alk is hands down the most important of the major elements.. just cause they don’t create a skeleton doesn’t mean they don’t consume alk.. in a week my tank can drop almost a full dkh point which is a lot and I have no coralline algae growth lol all my softie dominated tanks consume alk decently well If I don’t keep it stable I start to lose the sensitive stuff… I have smaller tanks with my biggest being a 50 lagoon… I use all for reef cause it works for me…. Main reason I don’t use other salts is I’m ocd about knowing what’s in my tank and I hate cleaning buckets and pumps but I love when they’re clean lol… alk is very important for softies too.. I also feed with vit C soaked foods, idk if it does anything but just a preventative measure I guess…
Right on man ill be honest ive been talking about checking alk for while now. Time to bust the Hanna out.
Doesn't explain the craziness with skimmer. Only been a few times but everytine it gets crazy I lose a cpl more.
I'll start with alk and see how that goes would be crazy if I checked it and was super low. Would be a good indication I guess.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of different kinds never had issues except bacterial infections which is just part of the game with mushrooms. Been together for over a year.
For sure thanks for chiming in man. Could be something im doing here. Had issues with flow got that sorted. Let my rodi go. Got that sorted. Ive had some issues this last year. Totally wierd it only affected the bounces though. Could be they stress easy and catch pathogen in process.

Ilikefishandlamps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think your getting your neuts too low. They like the dirty water and could be related when your skimmer is over working. Also when the skimmer goes crazy your ph can be rising as well. Which both would cause the mushrooms immune systems to drop and be more likely to a bacterial infection

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think your getting your neuts too low. They like the dirty water and could be related when your skimmer is over working. Also when the skimmer goes crazy your ph can be rising as well. Which both would cause the mushrooms immune systems to drop and be more likely to a bacterial infection
That’s kinda what I was thinking… major fluctuation in any nutrient could cause stress and lower immune system then the infection hits

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure skimmers only overflowed 3 maybe 4 times in last year and half. And it always been after watching bounces deflate and spit guts. My Nitrates have been pretty solidly locked in at 15 probably never lower in last year. Phosohates typically ran higher up to .2 at times. Have been dosing Phosphates since I set up ats as its been stripping it a bit.
Man I'm glad I started this thread. I think you guys may be right. There are things that haven't been so tight that ive gotten tightened up but have had plenty of issues just no real major changes water parameter wise in a solid 6 months or so. The alk is bugging me now though. I'm going to check it tomorrow. My guess is it will be higher around 11 like its supposed to mix to but you yall may be right. I have close to 100 shrooms in system im curious now if they aren't depleting it.
I do solidly change 10-20 gallons at least biweekly during clean up. But system is 140 - 160 total.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral.does not use up that much alk imo.
Yes a full packed reef tank witj majority soft.corals will see a.depletion in alk.
Also do you mean rhodactus mushrooms or are bounce mushrooms a thing now? I figured it was just a.term to describe the bubbles and jack the price up?
Ppl who chase numbers in a reef tank are always changing something..let it be and do small or smaller changes. Maybe even dont chase numbers and keep the ones u know stable that need to be such as alk. Salt. Temp. U might see better success. Hths
D

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral.does not use up that much alk imo.
Yes a full packed reef tank witj majority soft.corals will see a.depletion in alk.
Also do you mean rhodactus mushrooms or are bounce mushrooms a thing now? I figured it was just a.term to describe the bubbles and jack the price up?
Ppl who chase numbers in a reef tank are always changing something..let it be and do small or smaller changes. Maybe even dont chase numbers and keep the ones u know stable that need to be such as alk. Salt. Temp. U might see better success. Hths
D
Hey man totally missed your post. Thanks for your input here.
So TBH I probably only checked my Alk 2 x last year. Huge mistake on my part as im seeing my shrooms use .5dkh a day right now.
Its a post like yours that kinda made me neglect my dkh and most likely lead to some of the issues I've had.
On a real note I have been tracking softy dominant systems and some are reporting using up to 2 dkh per day so I highly reccomend anyone that runs past this post-
Check your alk and maintain it diligently!
Far as the rest of my params ive only ever ran into issues chasing numbers and not allowing system to settle in.
Having said that ive personally witnessed bounce shrooms thrive in slightly elevated Nitrates around 15ppm. That otherwise did absoloutely nothing at all. Ive documented that a few times here in other threads.
Yes certain bounce shrooms do fetch higher prices from collectors. Many different species will bounce but yeah it is mostly rhodactis. Having said that I think it much more than just a fancy name being slapped on some of them when you consider some just don't bounce, propagate or very rarely naturally propagate in captivity which leads to the rarity of some pieces which drives up the price realistically. I wouldnt take a loss on a shroom or any coral that I paid high dollar for especially if roi was slim to none im at least getting initial investment back. Doesnt make sense otherwise.

Grow shrooms they say they are easy.
I say define easy and be very careful when you say that. I have close to 100 shrooms in my system. Many different species now. Each one demands and thrives better in different lighting, flow, params etc. Some can be extremely sensitive to light and changes. Some could care less and can't get enough light or flow. Some can be just plain out high maintenance like any coral.
To do shrooms right I'll be keeping all my params in check from here on out.
Especially alk

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe soft coral uses up much alk. Its ur reef tank as a whole using up alk. Ur reef can be well established and settled and ur tank starts to deplete alk to make actual calcification happen.
Hths. It's hard to describe. Soft coral I do believe can detect and feel the alkalinity levels just like any other coral but are more susceptible to lower and higher alkalinity
Not alkalinity swings. Ur making me want to start an all soft coral tank. Book. Lol
D

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe soft coral uses up much alk. Its ur reef tank as a whole using up alk. Ur reef can be well established and settled and ur tank starts to deplete alk to make actual calcification happen.
Hths. It's hard to describe. Soft coral I do believe can detect and feel the alkalinity levels just like any other coral but are more susceptible to lower and higher alkalinity
Not alkalinity swings. Ur making me want to start an all soft coral tank. Book. Lol
D
Agreed. I run rock from ocean thats covered in coraline, hard corals and all kinds of life. I dont technically know how much my shrooms are actually using. But do think maintaining alk for general overall healthy balance in our reef is vital.
Maybe even higher alk if higher nutrients are at play.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic and perhaps coincidence, but when I added an eclectus in the same box as my Poletti JB's, the Poletti's shriveled up real good. I've never seen them look that bad. I separated them and the Poletti's are finally looking normal again after a month or so.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic and perhaps coincidence, but when I added an eclectus in the same box as my Poletti JB's, the Poletti's shriveled up real good. I've never seen them look that bad. I separated them and the Poletti's are finally looking normal again after a month or so.
Let's see them man I didnt know you where hoarding shrooms over there:)
It is interesting. Ive put all my JB in same area of tank and the only one I had issues with is a new school lineage JB. Ive had a poletti that I cant seem to do any harm to this past year and a half and it is starting to produce babies now. Same thing with old school kmaintl JBs I recently got. Just glowing and super hardy. They are now all split up into own corners of tank. Its funny I have a candy crush that's doing alot better and finally starting to spread out now that its in its own corner

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back