Multiple mantis single system

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting a few mantis shrimps togeather in my fuge, I have a resident zebra well over 10"(closer to a foot, but I am not pulling it out to be exact), and small golden brown smasher, and I just picked up a peacock, and will be getting another white smasher this weekend, so far they dont seem to take much note of each other.
Anybody here ever keep multiple mantis species togeather?

Last edited:

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't know too much about Mantis Shrimp, I would imagine that a large mantis would have no qualms about eating a smaller mantis, to them everything smaller is potential prey. I may be wrong..

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was just an article in one of the coral magazines that they should not be mixed. they are beautiful creatures and one day wouid love to own one. it was actually Coral the magazine

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will meet one day, and one of them will die... Not a very wise decision...

Just my .02 ,but please don't put them together.

OP
OP
wicked demon

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are aleady togeather, the zebra never comes out of its burrow, and has had the small brown crusher in with him for quite a long time, and the peacock has settled nicely into a cave area and is very passive, and just takes the food off the feeding prong, no strike at all.
They have about a 30 gallon area, chock full of rock and DSB, and 4'+ tall mangroves.

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is good to hear, but I think it is inevitable that they will meet. And once they do, it will not be good. The Peacock is one the larger Mantis of the species. And when he is full size, he will be a tough one. But good luck with it.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a mantis shrimp before, I would be sketched out about keeping a mantis shrimp with anything, but so far it sounds like this is gonna work out for you, good luck man!

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying Mantis shrimps cannot cohabitate with other sea-life. I am saying that different species Mantis shrimps cannot co-habitate with other Mantis shrimps... But I am not a expert so I can be wrong... But, I do wish you luck... I would like to be able keep all of mine in one tank as well... I just don't see how it is possible?

Have you fed your Mantish shrimps live food yet? I feed them live fiddler crabs, and they hunt and stalk the fidder crab to death...

I have four mantis shrimps and they cohabitate with:
1) Pair of O. Clowns and giant urchin.
2) Maroon Clown, Bta, twin spot blenny.
3) A lawnmower blenny and Chromis.
4) Just got him last week and as of right now he is MIA. llives with snails and hermits right now.

OP
OP
wicked demon

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, the 7" peacock is a beggar, and since I have been hand feeding (please dont start) him PE mysis I dont hear any striking.
I found out they have a series of spectrum filtering lenses on their eyes that can be slid in and out, and their appendages flare different colors and patterns that we cannot see.
Much like cepholopods they seem to communicate to some extent via these patterns and series of strobes and flashes.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last video reminds me of when I used to have a 6 ft Boa... I would hold the (dead) rat by the tail and wait for him to get it... even though I knew what was coming it scared the crap out of me every time. (disclaimer) I would not recommend feeding a snake this way:)

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh soo sick! great video. my wife was looking over my shoulder just now and said "ohh sad shrimpy" lol

Back