Multiple smaller heaters (watts) are better than one larger one! Do you agree?

Do you believe that multiple smaller watt heaters are better than one larger watt one?

• YES

Votes: 538 69.5%
  • NO

Votes: 96 12.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 124 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.1%

• Total voters

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 300 watt finnex controlled and 1 100w. I plan to get another 200 w to use with my inkbird and both plugged into my apex when that is up and running. I think 2 is better than 1 except in a small tank.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! For me the best reasons....1) If one of them fails in the "off" function the other will prevent catastrophic cooling till the issue can be recognized and addressed. 2) If one large heater fails in the "on" function.....which is not uncommon, an even more disastrous over heating can be avoided.

It's not a matter of if your heater will fail, it's a matter of when. You can replace them more often when they are still working ok to try to avoid problems but for me two smaller heaters is the best solution.
This is my thinking as well!

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Reef requires a 100W heater, use two 50W heaters, if it's 200W use two 100W's etc. Heaters are generally replaced annually and redundancy is probably your best ally when it comes to aquarium heaters because they break so easily. I would highly recommend buying an Inkbird Aquarium temp controller that way if it's probe gets too hot it will automatically turn off both your heaters. There are many types of probed temp controllers to plug your heaters in to add an extra layer of protection.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running two heaters that can handle the reef (by themself), if one burns out.

They're also on a temp controller that fires an alarm if something is off.

Then the final backup would be Apex Fusion firing alerts too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I understand you point I do have to clarify. The heat that these heaters produce is actually all waste. They are resistance heaters which is typically the most inefficient use of electricity.

Without getting into semantics, you could claim the heater is 100% efficient in the case that the wattage being consumed is all used to produce heat. However there are more efficient ways to produce the same amount of thermal energy required such as a heat pump. Just like your central air unit.

Yes, I agree. That is all perfectly true. All reef heaters, regardless of size are 100% efficient (not a "claim", its a simple fact), and none are above 100% efficient, like a heat pump or geothermal or other things can be. That is my point exactly. :)

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either set up works, but I use two 300w Ti heaters with independent controllers plugged into my APEX. One 300w heater is more than enough to keep my 90 gal tank in the desired range with pumps, powerheads, UV, and lights also adding their waste/excess heat to the cause. If it's really cold in my house, which is pretty rare in South Texas, the secondary heater might kick on for a little bit.

The bigger reason for two heaters is to run the second heater as a backup. I have two outlets on the APEX dedicated to the heater/temp controller. This takes up two of eight valuable slots, but heater failure is a big enough threat that I think it's worth it. Both outlets turn on at 77.9°, off at 81° (the back up to overheating from a stuck on thermostat). The primary heater element is set for 78° deg via the external control, but doesn't power on until 77° (the logic of the controller). Once the aquarium reaches about 78° it turns off. The secondary heater is set to 77° (acceptable, if slightly low), a full degree lower than the primary. I've built a command in the APEX programming where if the secondary heating element draws more than 50w (which it will if it actually powers up), or if the temp exceeds 81°, APEX sends a notification via text and e-mail. This tells me the primary heater isn't keeping up or something has failed on or is about to fail; time to investigate while avoiding a tank crash.

This setup gives me redundant protection on the high temperature end (controller and APEX), redundant protection on the low temperature end (secondary heater).

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up two 200watt in my 125 I’ve mounted them with the thermostat dials out of the water and the lights viewable and easily replaced I’ll back them up with my apex to turn them off only if one gets stuck on. MY thinking is I don’t want to run down a relay on a $280 dollar power strip or buy a $100 controller to save a $30 heater.
0907A54C-AB0B-464B-ABD3-1B58C3B5AA18.jpeg

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no as even with multiple heaters they are still running more. Increasing the failure rate. 2 large heaters with 2 sensors types for each is the safest bet.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to get a single heater which at full power delivers 78 degrees since if it fails I know that’s the highest it goes. Less complexity. Just replace it annually if concerned that running it at full power going to shorten its life span.

I live in south Florida where cold isn’t an issue and should there be a power outage then heat my enemy.

Only reason I’d run two or more heaters would be if ever I was able to afford a display large enough that a single heater wouldn’t get the job done or I needed to temporarily increase the temperature for breeding or medication. Keep it simple.

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO its better to have one heater and multiple termostats as redundancy, (the internal termostat and an additional external controller) .

REEFTIDEs Lil Helper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a lot less scary when you have some smaller ones instead of one larger heater. Even with multiple layers of redundancy its best to not use something that can bake the reef lol

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a no brainer. Yes. If you have two heaters and one fails on or off you have a greater chance of saving your system from cooking or freezing.

The real life saver is having two heaters with their own thermostats and aa central hub thermostat that controls both. Put the main thermostat at what temp you want and run your two heaters 1 degree above your main set point. Heater controller fails you won't cook your tank either.

You don't need Apex for what I've just described either. Oh snap....

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you believe that multiple smaller watt heaters are better than one larger watt one?

Yes, in the right circumstances.

2. How many heaters are you running (watts) and how many gallons are you heating?

While I do think multiple are better than one, I need to caveat that. I live in Florida, and we just don't get that many cold days. Further the aquarium is in the den, aka my wife's office. When we get a "cold" day she uses a space heater below the desk and keeps the door closed. The den rarely gets cold enough. I do have a heater in my sump, but it is smaller than what it "Should" be and to be honest it turns on/off maybe 200x a year... If that.

For someone in a much colder climate, 2 heaters would be far more important. First redundancy and back up and second for when it gets too cold for one heater to handle.

Redundancy is never a bad thing in this hobby.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go:

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some refers are replacing heaters annually. Sheeesh.
My 32 Fuji cube is running one heater (Supreme, vintage 1970). My 125 fowlr was set up for 2 months before I turned the heater on. Two hob filters, one surface skimmer pump, and one Hydor pump all kept the tank at a temp of 77.8. Who needs a heater? This fall and winter i may have to turn my heater off, cuz my gas logs keep my family room toasty.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all reef tanks require heaters? I would say no. It depends on the volume of water and the stability of the temperature in your home.

In a previous house, I had two tanks built into a wall with a room behind to service. I had zero heaters on the 200 gallon reef and 300 gallon FOWLR, which had classic AC pumps and MH lighting, and never had an issue with the tanks getting too cool, but sometimes a bit too warm. Current tank, a 150, requires a heater to keep the tank from getting too cool in the winter. Less heat generated by DC pumps and LED lights.

One mantra we hear over the years is about temperature stability. However, I have swum in many coral reefs and felt quite a bit of temperature variation during a single swim based on depth of water, currents, time of day, etc.. If corals and fish thrive in natural reefs where the temperature varies over the course of a day, then this is also true in an artificial environment. So, my decades have taught me that the important part is keeping the temperature inside a livable range instead of a narrow band. Thus, no need for duplicate heaters as long as you have probes and alarms to warn you when things get out of range.

P.S. I have found it is more often the probe than the heating element that goes bad.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! For me the best reasons....1) If one of them fails in the "off" function the other will prevent catastrophic cooling till the issue can be recognized and addressed. 2) If one large heater fails in the "on" function.....which is not uncommon, an even more disastrous over heating can be avoided.

It's not a matter of if your heater will fail, it's a matter of when. You can replace them more often when they are still working ok to try to avoid problems but for me two smaller heaters is the best solution.
I like that idea. My heater failed in full on. I was away. In 2 days it cooked 10 of my cichlids

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all reef tanks require heaters? I would say no. It depends on the volume of water and the stability of the temperature in your home.

In a previous house, I had two tanks built into a wall with a room behind to service. I had zero heaters on the 200 gallon reef and 300 gallon FOWLR, which had classic AC pumps and MH lighting, and never had an issue with the tanks getting too cool, but sometimes a bit too warm. Current tank, a 150, requires a heater to keep the tank from getting too cool in the winter. Less heat generated by DC pumps and LED lights.

One mantra we hear over the years is about temperature stability. However, I have swum in many coral reefs and felt quite a bit of temperature variation during a single swim based on depth of water, currents, time of day, etc.. If corals and fish thrive in natural reefs where the temperature varies over the course of a day, then this is also true in an artificial environment. So, my decades have taught me that the important part is keeping the temperature inside a livable range instead of a narrow band. Thus, no need for duplicate heaters as long as you have probes and alarms to warn you when things get out of range.

P.S. I have found it is more often the probe than the heating element that goes bad.
Where do you gat an alarm? Is it an app that you can add to your cell phone?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back