Multiple treatments of Cupramine ok?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

My DT got ICH so now my fish are in a new QT tank I recently set up, being treated with Cupramine, while my DT sits empty for 80 days.

I have 2 questions:

1) As I have 2 months left before I can return my fish to the DT, is there any harm in continuing the Cupramine exposure beyond the 2 weeks guideline on the bottle? The reason I ask is I had a difficult time getting the dosage up to 5ppm which took a number of days and id like to keep the dosage up for a while longer to be extra sure the Ich is killed.

2) Again, as I have 2 months to kill, id like to pick up and quarantine a couple more more fish. Is there any risk to my existing fish of me repeating another 2 week Cupramine session in the QT tank with a couple of new fish added? I would of course return levels back to zero slowly before adding any new fish.

Thanks

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each treatment will load the fish with more copper. Copper is a compound that will bioaccumulate in your fish (and other living things). Copper is known to depress the immune system of fish.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each treatment will load the fish with more copper. Copper is a compound that will bioaccumulate in your fish (and other living things). Copper is known to depress the immune system of fish.

Sincerely Lasse
Oh I was not aware of this! OK thanks for the info. How long do you think I should leave my current treatment going for? It took about 1 week to get my ppm to 5. If I leave the fish at 5ppm for 2 weeks this would give me a total of 3 weeks exposed to copped....is this OK?. I really don't want to risk the ich surviving and being reintroduced back to my DT. Thanks

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your fish are eating you are fine. I keep mine at therapeutic levels for 30 days. I do use chelated copper though (copper power).... not sure if that makes a difference. Check out humblefish. He is my go to on quarinteen. FYI cupramine is an ionic copper

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your fish are eating you are fine
They do not die - and that´s have been the only criteria people have used when they have done their different schedule of medication. But every drug we use in the water can cause sublethal damage that show up later on. No one have ever discuss this when they say - this drug and this concentration is safe. The only criteria used is if the fish die or not during the treatment.

With copper - it does nothing positive with the fish - it is only killing the free swimming ich parasites. The TTM (Tank Transfer Method) is as effective as copper treatment - IMO - and - ok - it stress the fish for the moment but leave no risk for sublethal damage.

But it is up to every one how they will treat their animals and it is up to you to decide how to do. Personally - I stop to use copper many years ago.

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back