Murky water

DeepReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone ,
After abit of advice regarding the water quality of my tank...
The tank is relatively new, almost been running for couple months and the water look cloudy from the start, I've been doing abit of water change but still the water looks murky, Just wondering what is causing this?
I have introduced couple little SPS frags as a tester, so far both frags looking great with no problem there.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water cloudy white, or a different type of murky? There are a couple of common causes, and most can be fixed with the usage of a protein skimmer. Note that white cloudiness can be one of multiple things.

White/Brown cloudiness - caused by sand bed being stirred up and ultra fine sand grains being put into suspension. Nothing you can really do about this except for reduce flow, do more water changes, or get a filter that can process the particulate matter. Protein skimmers don't work well at removing this.

Green/Brown cloudiness - A phytoplankton/microalgae bloom. Usually excess nutrients +excess light causes this. Won't overly harm the tank, but does look aesthetically unappealing. A protein skimmer will work wonders at removing the problem organism. As will doing more water changes. Feeding the tank less also helps.

White cloudiness - A bacterial/fungal bloom. Typically happens when you overfeed the tank. As long as there's proper gas exchange (protein skimming, disturbance of tank surface), it shouldn't overly negatively affect tank inhabitants, but it's still aesthetically unappealing. A protein skimmer will definitely remove the problem bloom, as will doing more water changes and feeding the tank less.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back