Murphy's law.... Disease the morning i leave for vacacion!

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a bit more like velvet to me. Smaller, more numerous dots. If it was me I'd probably ditch TTM and go with CP or copper at this point.

part of my brain don't want to look that way!! :p
but i also think it could be velvet. Ich would show more disperse white dots and larger one.
but... should i see other fish with symptom ? all i read about velvet is pretty bad and my whole tank should be nuked by now ... that's why i'm hesitant to rule out ich.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
part of my brain don't want to look that way!! :p
but i also think it could be velvet. Ich would show more disperse white dots and larger one.
but... should i see other fish with symptom ? all i read about velvet is pretty bad and my whole tank should be nuked by now ... that's why i'm hesitant to rule out ich.

Not all strains of velvet are the same. Some go straight for the gills and kill the fish without a single spot, and some cover the fish completely. Also, tangs have a thinner mucous coat than other fish which makes them "targets" and more susceptible to the parasites.

Also, the health of the fish's own immune systems can keep it at bay a bit longer sometimes. It will usually eventually overcome them, but sometimes takes several cycles before they finally begin to really decline. And by then it's often too late.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with velvet diagnosis. If the white spots come & go in less than 3 days time, you are dealing with velvet. Ich trophonts remain on a fish 3-7 days before dropping off.

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic garlic and more garlic!!! The fresher the better. You would be surprised on the immune booster garlic is on these tangs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear. Garlic has not be shown to boost the immune system or have any effect at all on any disease. The benefit of garlic is that is entices a fish to eat more (or just to eat period) which can, on it's own, boost the immune system.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start copper after work. I will try to catch as many fish i can. But out of the 23 fish i have in my 2 systems, i think ill be able to catch 7-8 fish....

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will start copper after work. I will try to catch as many fish i can. But out of the 23 fish i have in my 2 systems, i think ill be able to catch 7-8 fish....

I had success trapping fish using an acclimation box as a trap and fresh clams (and fish roe) as bait. If the bait is really tasty they will go in.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success trapping fish using an acclimation box as a trap and fresh clams (and fish roe) as bait. If the bait is really tasty they will go in.

The 7-8 fish that i can catch... i could basically do it with my bare hands. i'll try wiht my acclimation box, but i fear i won't be able to catch my watchman goby, my 2 flameback angel, my tail spot blenny, my fire fish, my scooter blenny and mandarin, they all stay in the lower section of the tank or in the reef. I might be able to get my 5 chromis... they are pretty agressive with food. i doubt my chalk bass will even look at the box.

I just purchase a 30g tank fully equiped, my 2 QT were only 5 and 10 gal. I will put separators to reduce agression.

I feel doing QT with the fish i can catch is useless if the other fish don't die... won't be able to go fallow for 72 days....
I QTed everything that got into my tank... but i only treat if i see disease... i guess my approach will change after that episode of velvet... :( i think it's the chromis i added in april that brought that crap.

Today my tang don't have whites dots, but his skinn is not as usual. you see their is something about him unusual. For my main tnak, still waiting for some signs....

thanks to all of you for your inputs!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY eggcrate fish trap:

Fish-Trap-1.jpg
Fish-Trap-2.jpg

Put a clam or something good in there for them to eat, running your fishing line all the way to the couch, crack open a beer or watch some TV, and be ready to pull on that string once they start going in. :D

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY eggcrate fish trap:

Fish-Trap-1.jpg
Fish-Trap-2.jpg

Put a clam or something good in there for them to eat, running your fishing line all the way to the couch, crack open a beer or watch some TV, and be ready to pull on that string once they start going in. :D

lol look at mine... not completed yet... working on it :p
P7192631.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahahah... is it the disco effect they talk about around LED ? :) :)
Crazy technic!!! will try, i have radions. i will syncronized the lights with techno music!! ;Headphone;Headphone

Yep, the disco lights put him in a trance and he floated right to the top! It was wild, I was so worried about catching him and he was the first one in QT [emoji23]

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up my QT....
I hope soooo much it's not velvet... i feel there is a time bomb in my tank!!
P7192633.JPG

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when should i start the copper treatment if it takes me a few days to catch all my fish ? right away or when the last fish is added to the QT ?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when should i start the copper treatment if it takes me a few days to catch all my fish ? right away or when the last fish is added to the QT ?

You'll have to wait until you catch all your fish to bring it to therapeutic. If it's velvet, you might have to just bite the bullet and remove some rock to catch them quickly.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to wait until you catch all your fish to bring it to therapeutic. If it's velvet, you might have to just bite the bullet and remove some rock to catch them quickly.

I'm asking because my tang seems weaker today, breathing heavy, but no white dots. has not eaten even with garlic. i would start treatment right away... i might start it in my 5 gal QT.
As for catching all my fish, i will sound cruel... but there is no way i'm tearing by DT apart, my rocks a fixed together... and i just got out of a bad moment with my SPS and its just starting to go well after 4 months of struggling. I might just catch what i can, and see for the rest if they survive or die... if they die... ill go fallow for 72d... if they don't... i don't know what i'll do (i'll hunt them ;) jking!! )

But i'm still unsure what disease i have, still debating the ich vs velvet. Friends of mine think it could be ich, because no other signs in DT. If Velvet, i should have seen other symptoms on my fishes by now. Also, they believe that my tang should be dead by now if velvet

I'll catch the fish i can, treat them just in case and wait to see how disease progress in my DT and with my tang ;Sour

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to start copper treatment in my 5g QT, did a 75% WC with new water.
Added 10 drops of cuppramine, will add 10 more in 48h and test to reach to make sure i'm at the effective dose. (20drop per 10g).

I will wait for my DT. 30g QT is ready and running. As soon as i see other symptoms, i'll catch my fishes.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been trying to catch my fishes since yesterday with my home maid fish trap and my acrylic fish trap. i'm using clam as bait... not luck so far.

any tips ? other than removing rock all glues together...

P7212634.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back