Mushroom, are they sand sifters?

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 red mushroom frags. One got unattached from the frag plug and had been floating around my tank freely. The other 3 still attached were bigger when I got them. But the floater is way bigger now, more colorful and looks like it’s sifting sand. Is it getting bigger from nutrients in the sand? It appears to make a cup/ funnel to bring sand towards its mouth
7C6CF211-1DA6-427E-B332-75F742F5331A.jpeg
7C6CF211-1DA6-427E-B332-75F742F5331A.jpeg
C9AD5DAB-4483-4762-9660-FFE74354FBEB.jpeg
06D7005E-19EF-4C7A-80F8-F054C2720471.jpeg
76A5297A-1913-4FAD-AE90-6378432A8755.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say no on sand sifting because I've never heard of it or seen it anyway.
I've buried shrooms over and over to get them to attach to rubble and they continuously un bury themselves pretty quickly.
It could be getting nutrients from sand.
Hows the sand getting on it what kind of critters?
The "Cupping" your seeing is basicly the shroom reaching for more light. Picture like a flowers leaf stands up.
You want to find a spot with enough light where the cap lays down. Too much light the cap will detract.
Just have to find sweet spot for it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “cupping“ is a reaction to being feed or catching food.
It can be part of the active feeding response yes, it can also signal the animal is stretching for more light.

Given that 1/3 of that mushroom is covered with sand blocking light, I would think it's much more likely to be reaching for light than actively feeding on sand. I have never heard or read any mushrooms consuming sand for the nutrition it may have stuck to it.

The fast "growth" of the mushroom could very well also be it laying out to try getting more light. Can also be attributed to being in a better location after it released its plug.

I've got a brown disco that was attached under a blood red disco. Released two days ago. It's now 3x the size as when it was competing for space. It hasn't actually Grown, it's just laying out properly and I'm seeing the true size.

Most likely scenario here, its ticked with the sand on its body and mouth.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “cupping“ is a reaction to being feed or catching food
thats what I thought so it was getting nutrients out of the sand
I’m sure it has more nutrients/food being in the sand and lower slower flow. I would try to keep it from filling with sand. It‘s also reaching because of how long the base is. I would just leave it if it’s doing well, one way or another it will collect what it needs. A lot of my mushrooms won’t cup or take spot feeding if they are in a higher par setting. I assume it‘s because of the high light they don’t have as much need Input from me.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not touch the mushroom, it’s still in the same location and cupped just no sand inside.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back