Mushroom Coral Placement - shade?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I purchased a Ricordea mushroom frag about 2.5-3 weeks ago. The first 1.5 weeks was a struggle because the mushroom kept moving no matter where I placed it! The last 1-1.5 weeks it’s been hanging out in this crevice where there is shade. Is it typical for mushrooms to move to shaded areas or should I move it? It gets little light, but because it’s pretty far into the crevice it’s hard to see. I don’t mind it being somewhere with low visibility if it’s happy, but it also makes it hard to tell if it’s thriving or showing signs of poor health. Any tips on identifying if it needs to be moved?

8C7B01E2-C3CC-4976-8D2C-E624A97D49CE.jpeg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it detached because it did not like where it was located, or just never got a hold of anything until it found the shaded area. If you can shine a flashlight on it and then take a picture it will be easier to tell if it’s happy or not.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it detached because it did not like where it was located, or just never got a hold of anything until it found the shaded area. If you can shine a flashlight on it and then take a picture it will be easier to tell if it’s happy or not.
Yes, it did attach. There was one spot it stayed put for 2 days, but ultimately moved. It’s hard to get a clear photo because of how deep it is in the tank. My phone won’t focus very well. I grabbed these with a filter
AA052CF6-9DEB-454D-91C4-D40094EF2352.jpeg

Attachments

• 3DEA4268-1B6B-43ED-A09D-C897FEAC289E.jpeg
    3DEA4268-1B6B-43ED-A09D-C897FEAC289E.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 24

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if it attaches it generally means it likes it there, so I’d just leave it and it will figure it out on its own. I’ve removed rocks in the past and on the underside of them were mushrooms I had lost in the past, that floated away and had attached in the shade for months or even years. Don’t worry about it not being in the light, if it wants light it will stretch its foot out to reach it. I’ve had Yuma’s in the shade stretch their foot legitimately 4-5 inches. Hope you all the best with it they are fun corals :D

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if it attaches it generally means it likes it there, so I’d just leave it and it will figure it out on its own. I’ve removed rocks in the past and on the underside of them were mushrooms I had lost in the past, that floated away and had attached in the shade for months or even years. Don’t worry about it not being in the light, if it wants light it will stretch its foot out to reach it. I’ve had Yuma’s in the shade stretch their foot legitimately 4-5 inches. Hope you all the best with it they are fun corals :D
Okay, glad to know it’ll move if it’s unhappy with the lighting situation lol. I’m doing a water change tomorrow and wasn’t sure if I should take the chance to move it, but I’ll leave it be. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back