Mushroom lighting linked to bouncing vesticules and/or oddities?

Does lighting effect mushroom bounce and color?

• Total voters

Jibarra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reef hobby for two years now. Went from a single 15 gal tank to 15gal, 30gal and 60gal. They all have different lighting conditions for specific corals. Recently, I’ve been trying to propagate mushrooms with good success! I have been seeing a lot of mushrooms with bouncing vesticules but that can not be identified. Read online that lighting has an effect on bounce mushrooms. I currently have three lighting conditions; regular white light in day and blues at night, heavy blue lighting in another and heavy blue and UV lighting in the third.
Results: under regular white lights the vesticules grew smaller and less noticeable, under heavy blues the vesticules grew large and abundant. Under heavy blue and UV I began to see some oddities.
In the photo is a reef koi bounce under heavy blue and UV lighting forming bright green vesticules and other colors. I fragged a piece of it and left a piece in the tank with heavy blue lighting and don’t see this color.
They been growing in separate tank conditions for about 5 months. Will update end of the year.

B78C4D44-1957-49E6-AAA5-0FBAF6909C17.jpeg 54586AF4-145E-47AE-9863-DBC51C019CE2.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question that has been on my mind for awhile now.
Alot will say its lighting in particular.
I dont know if there are any scientific papers on the subject to prove that theory or not.
I can say that I believe its more as my wife follows a bunch or the divers and wholesalers pulling most of these shrooms from ocean. And they post pictures of shrooms already bouncing in the ocean.
Maybe they are getting proper lighting and spectrum where they live in Ocean.
Idk

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question that has been on my mind for awhile now.
Alot will say its lighting in particular.
I dont know if there are any scientific papers on the subject to prove that theory or not.
I can say that I believe its more as my wife follows a bunch or the divers and wholesalers pulling most of these shrooms from ocean. And they post pictures of shrooms already bouncing in the ocean.
Maybe they are getting proper lighting and spectrum where they live in Ocean.
Idk
Mostly they start bouncing because of heavy blue lights and as I said there are some others links to it which I can’t explain.
There are also some wild bounces. But for what I know it’s very difficult for divers to spot them, Here is a picture of my wild green mushroom
C086476E-427B-4AFF-8013-9165FBC62AC5.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly they start bouncing because of heavy blue lights and as I said there are some others links to it which I can’t explain.
There are also some wild bounces. But for what I know it’s very difficult for divers to spot them, Here is a picture of my wild green mushroom
C086476E-427B-4AFF-8013-9165FBC62AC5.jpeg
Its very interesting. I'll see if I can find out who all she is following in IG. Alot of Asain divers/wholesalers.
Its interesting because I have a shroom that did absolutely nothing until I bumped my Nutrients a little. Started bouncing and then I ended up upgrading my lamp and pushing higher par and started bouncing crazy.
I do run brs reccomended schedule for my lamp and its is heavier on the blue side.
Maybe Nutrients have to be a specific levels for specific shrooms combined with correct spectrum is what will make them pop idk.
Not only shrooms will do it. Ive seen blastos, someone posted zoas and 1 or 2 other corals I cant recall. All showing similar bouncing.
If I had means and opportunity I'd try to find the correlation. Maybe it is defense mechanism of coral shielding itself by producing bubble, to fill with zooxanthellae to handle the heavy UV and blue light. Maybe even red spectrum. Id be interested to see if they did same thing in heavy reds.
Maybe available nutrients helps them grow faster, to be able to produce the mass needed to store zooxanthellae to use the light.
This is a cool experiment. Very interested to see what other things are found here on update.

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very interesting. I'll see if I can find out who all she is following in IG. Alot of Asain divers/wholesalers.
Its interesting because I have a shroom that did absolutely nothing until I bumped my Nutrients a little. Started bouncing and then I ended up upgrading my lamp and pushing higher par and started bouncing crazy.
I do run brs reccomended schedule for my lamp and its is heavier on the blue side.
Maybe Nutrients have to be a specific levels for specific shrooms combined with correct spectrum is what will make them pop idk.
Not only shrooms will do it. Ive seen blastos, someone posted zoas and 1 or 2 other corals I cant recall. All showing similar bouncing.
If I had means and opportunity I'd try to find the correlation. Maybe it is defense mechanism of coral shielding itself by producing bubble, to fill with zooxanthellae to handle the heavy UV and blue light. Maybe even red spectrum. Id be interested to see if they did same thing in heavy reds.
Maybe available nutrients helps them grow faster, to be able to produce the mass needed to store zooxanthellae to use the light.
This is a cool experiment. Very interested to see what other things are found here on update.
I think I found the thread I told you about

You can certainly find more answers here :)

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tumors on the shrooms.

I've seen chalices, acans, blastos all do it, super cool on those!

I'm sure any lps can bounce if the flesh gets irritated enough by the surroundings.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting though line here.

When the tag frag tank is up, fuge light is going back into bloom red. I'm going to leave a few Earl down there and document for the discussion.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of stuff gets my nerd self excited haha.
I think @F i s h y may also have some shrooms under red fuge light.
Is it possible for you guys can check par under red lamp?

Interesting though line here.

When the tag frag tank is up, fuge light is going back into bloom red. I'm going to leave a few Earl down there and document for the discussion.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of stuff gets my nerd self excited haha.
I think @F i s h y may also have some shrooms under red fuge light.
Is it possible for you guys can check par under red lamp?
Will do. And if possible, I'll try to get a few of the recent splits together. Half in red, others under t5 hybrid. I'll attempt to get par close but the fuge light ain't nearly as strong as the frag tank lamp.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red shrooms have gotten darker and no swollen vesicles. Just moved them all out now playing with them under a kessil A360WE in a 20 I have set up

Ilikefishandlamps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tumors on the shrooms.

I've seen chalices, acans, blastos all do it, super cool on those!

I'm sure any lps can bounce if the flesh gets irritated enough by the surroundings.
I can get my hammers and frogs to “bounce” they get super chunky

Attachments

• 38B38C05-FFB7-4944-8EC6-DD738B786F40.png
    38B38C05-FFB7-4944-8EC6-DD738B786F40.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 78
Back