Mushroom propagation and forced pedal laceration experiment.

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am trying something new today. After watching a few videos on propagating mushrooms, I noticed that pedal laceration was thrown out alot. Instead of cutting straight down the mouth of the shrooms, I decided to cut a sliver off of the foot of my jawbreaker to see what happens. Luckily for the experiment, my jawbreaker was attached to 2 separate rubble with the main body attached to one rubble and a small sliver attached to another piece of rubble in my shroom box. I decided to cut the sliver off. As soon as I made the incision, the guts began spilling out of the main body soon after, but the shroom enclosed on itself after roughly 2 hours. I dipped in iodine right after the incision which had to have helped in disinfecting. The booger sized portion of the foot looks okay for now, but I will have to wait and see if it will melt away, or stay to grow into another shroom. If anyone else has already performed such an experiment, I'd love to hear about it. Will continue to post progress.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am trying something new today. After watching a few videos on propagating mushrooms, I noticed that pedolaceration was thrown out alot. Instead of cutting straight down the mouth of the shrooms, I decided to cut a sliver off of the foot of my jawbreaker to see what happens. Luckily for the experiment, my jawbreaker was attached to 2 separate rubble with the main body attached to one rubble and a small sliver attached to another piece of rubble in my shroom box. I decided to cut the sliver off. As soon as I made the incision, the guts began spilling out of the main body soon after, but the shroom enclosed on itself after roughly 2 hours. I dipped in iodine right after the incision which had to have helped in disinfecting. The booger sized portion of the foot looks okay for now, but I will have to wait and see if it will melt away, or stay to grow into another shroom. If anyone else has already performed such an experiment, I'd love to hear about it. Will continue to post progress.
Ever heard of shrooms in a blender? Supposedly they can be thrown into a blender and ground up and dumped into water. I have never tried and haven’t heard of anyone that has.

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Shrooms in a blender idea works for specific breeds of mushrooms I thought. I have large hairy mushrooms that would probably work on but I don't know about jawbreakers. Following along to see what people say!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried cutting through the mouth with rhodactis before. But it’s hard to see the mouth because they shrivel up and are slimy so hard to make a straight cut. I missed the mouth on some but I guess I got the foot. In one week they had healed.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pedal laceration is very safe for most if not all shrooms. But, the nubs take forever to grow.

The procedure mimics how shrooms reproduce in the wild when the move around. Only problem is if the shroom isn't ready to move then it suffocates the new nub eventually

OP
OP
Bigbaby

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red arrow points to the "guts". Doesnt look like it closed up completely. I do recall reading a post about a jawbreaker getting shredded in a power head and ending up propagating throughout a members tank, but cant seem to find it. That experiment will have to saved for later :)

20200126_081235.jpg 20200126_080655.jpg 20200126_080706.jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red arrow points to the "guts". Doesnt look like it closed up completely. I do recall reading a post about a jawbreaker getting shredded in a power head and ending up propagating throughout a members tank, but cant seem to find it. That experiment will have to saved for later :)

20200126_081235.jpg 20200126_080655.jpg 20200126_080706.jpg
It'll close up. I wouldn't do a blender on a jb. They're super fickle. Lost many JBs over the years including a full poletti colony. Sigh. Just because.

Pedal laceration is the gentlest means of fragging shrooms though.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. I just had this happen by accident a few weeks back. My mother has slowly been creeping off its old small plug and onto a larger disc. I thought I was good to break off the old plug but it was still attached some. I ended up tears by the foot a bit and guts spilled out. The next day it was healed up and now 3 weeks later I’ve got another baby on the old plug from the small piece of tissue left behind.

OP
OP
Bigbaby

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll close up. I wouldn't do a blender on a jb. They're super fickle. Lost many JBs over the years including a full poletti colony. Sigh. Just because.

Pedal laceration is the gentlest means of fragging shrooms though.
I agree, they can be finicky. I think the blender might still be worth looking into. Maybe not so aggressive as to actually stick it in a blender, but multiple cuts through the body and even avoiding the mouth to see how those would fair.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, they can be finicky. I think the blender might still be worth looking into. Maybe not so aggressive as to actually stick it in a blender, but multiple cuts through the body and even avoiding the mouth to see how those would fair.
Good luck! :)

But honestly, I've regrown most shrooms from random parts of them so already forged that path :). Except for st thoms. They suck at fragging

Regrowing for me is never a prob
Real problem is losing them as they regrow and detach or not attach at all. 100G shroom tank and you don't know how many snots go missing after months of regrowth.

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever heard of shrooms in a blender? Supposedly they can be thrown into a blender and ground up and dumped into water. I have never tried and haven’t heard of anyone that has.
My husband's cousins son (I know) was living with us in high school about 13 years ago and did this for his science fair project. We put in some basic red and blue I believe, and poured the sludge over a dish of sand in my OT. Worked fantastic, had tons of mushrooms all over. He ended up going all the way to CA State with the project.

CoralGuy19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband's cousins son (I know) was living with us in high school about 13 years ago and did this for his science fair project. We put in some basic red and blue I believe, and poured the sludge over a dish of sand in my OT. Worked fantastic, had tons of mushrooms all over. He ended up going all the way to CA State with the project.
How fine did you grind them up?

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a bright green ricordea Florida about a year ago.

One cut, straight through the mouth.

On the end of the cut, my razor blade caught an edge and tore off the tiniest piece of flesh from the edge of the mushroom. Like head of a pin sized. I put the 2 halves and that tiny piece into some rubble. They all attached after a few days to different pieces. The two halves have grown out nicely into identical sized green ricordeas, copies of the one I cut.

The little nub has grown out very slowly, but has a mouth and is growing. Strangely, this one is green around the outside, but very brightly colored orange around the center, going about 3/4 of the way to the edge.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back