Mushroom reaction to being partially buried

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen this before, but this has happened to different mushrooms in the past few months. So basically between my pistol shrimp and cucumber I have a constantly moving sand bed. A month ago a red one got covered and I did not notice in time. When I lifted the rock above the sand, one of the lower red mushrooms looked like it had almost completely dissolved. This morning one of my Saint Thomas mushrooms, the entire right side of it had done the same. I grabbed some of the pieces and I will try to frag it. In the past when I had a mushroom not get enough light it just lost it's color. Do I have a predator or is this just the mushroom being smothered with sand?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

most likely the mushroom was starved of light and flow and shriveled. If you can isolate it into a little rubble or sand and keep some flow it should recover. They are pretty resilient.

I am not sure if cutting it would help. If it was big enough where you could frag it and get a few pieces than you may want to do that. Only if you know how and can get a few healthy frags out of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back