mushroom removal

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of mushrooms and was wondering what's the best way to remove them from my rocks? They are taking over the rock and maybe killing my other coral's? What should I do with them once removed? A little new at this, not trying to stupid.

Thank You
Adam

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no way an expert but your best bet would probably be to either remove the rock or maybe see if you can kind of chisel off the top layer of rock that the feet are attached to. If you just take the shrooms off the rock, another will grow in the same spot. I moved mine from one rock to another and I have a baby growing in the exact same spot as the parent in only 3 weeks.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use wooden chisels, the once made to carve wood, and just use them to crack through the rock. You can use your hand, no need for a hammer if it's a small one that's hand-friendly.

Then just chip away the rock under the shroom, leaving the foot of the shroom unharmed and still attached to the shroom. From there, you can glue them onto frag plugs and sell/trade/give to your fellow local hobbyist. :)

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for other suggestions. I've got the same issues. Shrooms everywhere!! I catch lil floaters daily with a net :) So what if the rock cannot be removed from the tank?

Last edited:

Smnparish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard you can also cut them off as close to the base as possible, and inject kalk paste into the remaining foot.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back