Mushroom tanks

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see some of your guys mushrooms in your tanks. I’m debating on getting some mushrooms for my reef. Also can someone give me some knowledge on them. How fast do they grow and spread and stuff like that. Thanks!

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one Yuma in a spot two years ago and it has taken over with about 50 babies, they can really multiply if you want them to.

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one Yuma in a spot two years ago and it has taken over with about 50 babies, they can really multiply if you want them to.

Is I️t hard to remove them if you need to? I have Kenya trees and when they get too big and take up other corals space I simply cut them or remove them.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not terribly difficult, you can usually aim a powerhead at them and they'll let go of what they're attached to. You can also have a rubble field around the area that you have your shrooms so that way when they spread, if you don't want more, you can just pick up the rubble pieces that they're on and sell or trade them. As far as how fast they grow, just like any other coral, some grow fast and some grow slow that's why some are so outrageously priced while you can't give others away. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, a word of caution, mushroom collecting can become addicting as there is just about every color and pattern that you can imagine out there.

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not terribly difficult, you can usually aim a powerhead at them and they'll let go of what they're attached to. You can also have a rubble field around the area that you have your shrooms so that way when they spread, if you don't want more, you can just pick up the rubble pieces that they're on and sell or trade them. As far as how fast they grow, just like any other coral, some grow fast and some grow slow that's why some are so outrageously priced while you can't give others away. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, a word of caution, mushroom collecting can become addicting as there is just about every color and pattern that you can imagine out there.

Thank you. I’d love to see your collection and reef.

PureReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly shroom tank with odd zoa frag low flow and I run very heavy blues ilumenair 600 with aquaray beam Fiji blue for extra blue
a0359a6c58460df8793e89459489385c.jpg
7d2aea3a4d59ade275d74ff83c2f3e31.jpg
64eff163108e5599a371020bd5984d7d.jpg
4e9ac9d52f6ad02244f4c6c3448598e9.jpg
2b17c73e0af46ca471f67016d0020419.jpg
495581267191c874998661209e7982d8.jpg
c483cfa254e78842eadab1fd7a99868f.jpg

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll have to excuse the algae, I've been a bit lazy. Here's the shrooms that I could get a decent picture of, there's still a red devil shroom hiding just out of camera range and another couple that are to small to show good colors yet.
tank.JPG
shroom1.JPG
shroom2.JPG
shroom3.JPG
shroom4.JPG

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're looking at. Picture one (orange mushroom): I paid $2.50, the white streaks developed after I added it to the tank. Picture 2: Gold Ricordea florida $30, the two different types in the background were freebies but I've seen the one on the left sell locally for $150, though I think $10-$20 for either is more realistic. Picture 3: Reef koi/sunkist bounce, I paid $150. Picture 4: blue Ricordea florida $20, bio-hazard bounce $175, WWC bounce $250. The prices that I listed are what I would consider to be reasonable though they will vary from location to location and hobbyist to hobbyist. You can find some real diamonds in the rough at local fish stores as many times they'll order mushroom corals and put an appropriate markup on them, I almost scored a berzerker mushroom that way but the shop decided to keep it themselves, but other times they'll split them up into singles, name them, and charge 5 times what they would normally be marked at. But most of your "average" mushrooms you'll probably be looking at $10-$20 for singles and $60 and up for colonies, and if you really want to spend big you can pick up that purple monster jawbreaker that BSA corals has right now

Cliffsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see some of your guys mushrooms in your tanks. I’m debating on getting some mushrooms for my reef. Also can someone give me some knowledge on them. How fast do they grow and spread and stuff like that. Thanks!
They do best in high nutrient tanks.. I'm not having any issues and mine is by no means high nutrient.
20180520_203815.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you and if I️ we’re to buy just a single one on a frag plug would I️ mount that to a rock or take it off the plug or put I️t in sand?

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do either or. Personally I wouldn't remove it from the plug as it may end up moving itself anyway. If you put it on the sand bed I would bury most of the plug and let it be but if you were to put it on the rocks I'd glue it and keep an eye on it. In either spot it may go on walk about if it's not happy with its present location and will eventually settle down when it finds a spot that it likes. Some people choose to keep their high end mushrooms in a "shroom" box for just such reasons.

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do either or. Personally I wouldn't remove it from the plug as it may end up moving itself anyway. If you put it on the sand bed I would bury most of the plug and let it be but if you were to put it on the rocks I'd glue it and keep an eye on it. In either spot it may go on walk about if it's not happy with its present location and will eventually settle down when it finds a spot that it likes. Some people choose to keep their high end mushrooms in a "shroom" box for just such reasons.

I️ didn’t think corals could move. So you can’t glue the mushrooms to the plug?

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes, what he said. Here's a shot of my shroom box.

IMG_0591w.jpg

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ didn’t think corals could move. So you can’t glue the mushrooms to the plug?
I don't think you would have any success gluing a shroom to a plug, they produce way to much slime even if you dry it off with a paper towel, not to mention that they would probably find a way to shrink away from the glue and drift away anyhow. Now, if the mushroom is attached to a piece of rubble and you glue the rubble down then you're all set, but the mushroom can still move so there's no promise that it will stay where you put it. Fun fact about mushrooms, in regards to them moving/crawling, they're not really coral. They belong to a group called disc anemones, so being a type of anemone themselves they have the capability to crawl around until they find their happy spot.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a good price for some of these mushrooms.?

Unfortunately this is probably not a great time to be buying mushrooms from a price perspective. Ricordea florida and yuma have always been a bit more expensive, but you usually were able to at least find cheaper standard and rhodactis mushrooms. Now because of the bounce mushroom craze, even standard rhodactis mushrooms are being sold as "bounce mushrooms," despite the fact that they haven't "bounced" and are exceedingly ordinary.

If you're buying anything with a fancy name (OG, toxic, radioactive, fire, etc), expect to pay anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars per mushroom. Ricordea florida are still my favorite by far. The care requirements are similar to regular mushrooms and they're still plenty colorful. Plus, for some reason, vendors haven't thought up a crazy name and decided to charge a hundred dollars a piece for them. So they can still be found for about $20 each.

With regards to growth rates, I have had two Ricordea florida in my tank for a year and a half or so. The one had 4 mouths but refused to split. The other was relatively small and orange. When I started feeding Reef Chili and mysis daily, the growth exploded. The 4-mouthed one split into 4 separate polyps and the small orange one started growing so quickly I had to move it onto its own rock so it wouldn't sting its neighbors.

Cliffsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon fart shrooms aka rhodactis Indonesias
20180606_182412.jpeg
20180606_182223.jpeg

Back