Mushrooms, need ID as well as why the white strings?

jackstir34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attached is a picture, water params test good, cycled 29 Gal, hang on filter, 50 gal skimmer, 2 fans(turned off now), 55 gal UV sterilizer. ammonia and nitrate rock in filter. ammonia <.5ppm a bit high on the nitrates <10ppm, PH 8.4 ,phosphates undetected. calcium 280 ppm, two 24" Actinic T5 420, two 24" 10K daylight. temp 79 - 80. I turned of the fans cause my button polyps, and mushrooms didnt look so great. I tested params today. all the zoas are doing outstanding. please tell me what I can do!

IMAG0167.jpg

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to be spewing it guts...you have a 29 gallon tank. with extremely potent UV sterilizer and Protein skimmer. you may in fact have depleted some necessary elements in your water. how long do you run both skimmer and UV?

OP
OP
J

jackstir34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent turned off the UV sterilizer but I did turn off the skimmer. this noodle like white stuff is coming from the foot of the mushroom, not their mouth.

OP
OP
J

jackstir34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added calcium, retested params cal is 380-400 and KH was still 15 to 16 (268.5 ppm KH)

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH is also too high. What salt are you using? Are you adding KH? Should be 8-12
Predators? Big worms, crustaceans?
Contamination - aerosols, plug in fresheners?
New acquisition?

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's in a fairly low flow area. Mushrooms also typically do well in low/moderate lighting.

You might also try giving your tank a moderate to heavy feeding, since you've already done a 50% water change. Somewhat dirty water is usually the most suitable for shrooms.

OP
OP
J

jackstir34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have done everything suggested, to no avail. turned off fans, turned of UV sterilizer, turned off skimmer, added calcium to try and lower KH. they are still detaching. it doesnt look like they are melting, but they dont look healthy. is it common to be able to see the nemocysts at the foot of the shroom when they are detaching to find a new spot?

OP
OP
J

jackstir34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested today, I really need help. I have alot of time and money invested in these corals, and im not getting something right. 29 gal, temp 85, 100 gal skimmer and UV ( turned off) coralife actinic/10k fixture, coralife x2 10k fixture. fans are off, hang on back filter with 2 bays, loaded with nitrate/ ammonia rock. 50% water change, 25% water change in last 7 days. calcium added, strontium , molybdenum, Iodine, and micro bacter7. KH still reads 286.4 ppm, calcium 320-340, salinity 1.020, ammonia <0.5 ppm, nitrite 1-5 ppm, nitrates <10 ppm. phosphates <.5 ppm. mushrooms are melting away and the button polyps havent been open in weeks. PLEASE HELP! thanks in advance.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo you need to raise the ca up a little every day untill you reach 420 or so. Your kh will lower as ca rises. Also, you shouldn't be showing amonia, nitites or nitrates at all and your temp is way too warm. Is this a new cycling tank? Too many fish? Have you been feeding your mushrooms?

125g mixed reef Peninsula

Daniel62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the dates on your test kits. Do you have a store you can take a sample of water to, so that they can verifie your numbers. Yes temp is a little high. And this is just my oppinion, but I think you are adding way to many Chemicals to your tank. Do you have a way to measure all that stuff you are putting in? Again, that is just my oppinion.

Good luck

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back