Mushrooms not doing well, too much light?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea e260, with stock lights, 90 watts ReefLed. I notice my mushrooms are shriveling up, the hairy mushrooms are much smaller and turning clear. My St Thomas are shrinking up and some have left the rock. I have my lights up pretty high even though the mushrooms are at the bottom. Would too much lighting be the problem?

Other parameters

Salinity 1.025
Phosphates .03 - Have been closer to .01 recently
Nitrates 10 - Have been closer to 0 recently.
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say lighting and/or flow. My hairy shroom and superman shroom dislike the light and flow. I have then both is shaded areas away from direct flow. They flap around happily now.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running the lights at pct wise?
how old is tank?
Have you checked the par?

To start with, cut light intensity 50%. To little light is better than to much.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, most mushrooms can be acclimated to just about any lighting. Did you recently add them, move them, or change your lighting in anyway? If nothing’s changed and they’re suddenly doing this, I would look more towards a water chemistry issue. What’s your alkalinity? If that is out of range or isn’t stable that could very well be the issue. Could be lighting, but would need more information to narrow it down.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone that responded. I had pushed the lights up over time, so that is likely it. We will also start feeding more, for the person asking about the alk i think the last i tested it was around 9.1

Back