Mushrooms overtaking tank

ibanezgfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a 55g tank that I've got mushrooms overtaking. Not sure what kind but see the attached pic (sorry for the poor quality). Is this common? The Kenya tree is also overrunning but I am cutting that down as I feel is necessary.

nepupa7y.jpg

Any thoughts will be helpful. Guess I just want to know how to control it a bit better.
I have a Current Nova Extreme Pro T5 fixture 6x55 watt and no filtration. I've got a 75 I'm moving everything to once i finish my basement.

Thanks.

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's common, looks pretty cool actually. Very hard to get rid of them at your current state unless you get rid of the rocks they are on.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that when I keep my nutrients to a minimum mushrooms do not multiply and some even die off. They like a water column that is not pristine.

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
have you ever thought of selling them back to your local reef shop or get credit for them being that you can grow them so quick

sheal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeje thats looks cool. Mine did the same thing. They are red rooms so you can sell them like I did per rocks

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of filtration is my guess as to why they are growing so well for you. When you get the 75 going add some filtration and maybe they spreading will slow down.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of them! They will spread no matter what. The best way to control them is to keep them in just one area of the tank.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a close up picture blue mushrooms

Attachments

• 1380139675947.jpg
    1380139675947.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 433

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I feel your pain! Have started several posts on this exact shroom issue. I've tried the Algae Vac, Majano Wand, Kalk Paste, all to no avail. This weekend I'm going to try a mj 600 power head and try sucking them out. Hopefully the pump will draw the shroom into the impeller, where they'll be siphoned out via the 30" of tubing into the waiting bucket.
3e4a6yny.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

LunaticFringeInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's what I would do in a heart beat as the others here have suggested. I would hit the LFS's in the area up and see which ones are interested and then unload a lot of them for store credit. This is exactly how I financed a 125 gallon Reef Tank after starting out with just a humble 55 gallon tank without using any money out of pocket in a year when I first got into this hobby!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i can get my mushrooms to multiply.! thats awesome such a bright blue its so pretty but thats allot.! start putting frag plugs everywhere! so they grow on them and just give them away!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back