Musings from an intermediate Acro junkie and what i KNOW to be true about growing acros

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for a few yrs. I KNOW there are guys who know way more than me about taxonomy, have way more experience with growing sticks + all the different lighting equipment, and better at every other aspect.. In the past few years, (2015) I went from a relatively newbie, to I believe an intermediate. I can keep a tank stable. I can keep corals properfly fed. I can grow nubs to colonies. My color , PE and growth are good.

Still. There is SO much bad info that gets parroted. The only way to know for real is to DO yourself. Here's what I think I KNOW to be true

1. Water changes. Unless you have a tank that has been up for a very long time, you really need to do weekly or bi weekly WC. Acros LOVE WC. I don't know why, they just do. Change your filters often(ish) and your membrane often (ish). Sorry, outside, of stability, WC is the best and easiest way for healthy and happy acros.

2. Nutrients - the low nutrient thing is MOSTLY BS. Granted, I try as much as possible to export nutrients in a variety of fashions, acros love IMPORTING lots of nutrients as well. Dosing nitrates is a game changer. Phosphates is trickky. I've had high and really low. The only thing I can say is too low will pale your corals , and even wipe out all your acros. Probably .1 or a little less is ideal. Regardless, anyone that says "aim for ULNS" you're asking for paler corals w/ less growth. WAY more peoplw will crash their tanks with too low nutrients than far too high. its probably not close. make sure to have enough fish. Fish poop = good

3. Lighting. Higher par is DEFINITELY better for growth. But, too high par comes at a price. Too high par will kill color, stunt growth, and at worst kill your acros. You'll have to find with trial and error what color/growth distribution works for you. I like LEDs. they just make the corals better looking. The spectrum of LEDs have made great strides. Oh and get a par meter. Or rent.

4. Mount your sticks on an angle. More surface area. They grow faster.

5. Keep your sticks on the frag plug. Ugly at first, but, almost guaranteed you may have to move your stick to another spot for better growth /happiness. Its just easier to move it on a plug than gluing the bottom of a coral. oh, fragging definitely increases growth where you frag.

6. Still on the fence about aminos. I have noticed that brightwell aminos help out with color and health with stressed acros for SURE. Can't say I notice a difference with growth or color in any other product.

7. ALWAYS test. People will say "oh i just look at my corals to know if something is wrong." Thats cool, except when acros start looking bad that means something has been off for weeks, perhaps even a few months. By the time you see them "off" it may be too late and your tank could go into a tail spin. It's so much easier to just test and catch the problem earlier

8. Phytoplankton helps out PE. Is it beneficial to the acro? No idea. But the PE is anecdotally better.

9. Speaking of PE, some folks will say "PE doesnt matter to health." IME, the healthiest corals have the best PE. When PE goes away, something is wrong. Maybe there are instnaces where bad pe doesnt matter, but in my limited exp more pe = healthier , better growing acro.

10. higher pH = WAY better. some people say "dont chase pH"... BS... HUGE difference when your tank has higher pH vs under 8 in terms of growth. even a .1 difference is note worthy. I know bc i can see the difference in consumption.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good write up ....
I’ve always mounted my frags at angles; mostly as a failed countermeasure to shorten that annoying encrusting mode some frags get stuck in...I’ve never nailed down any reason or species specific reason. I could use any ideas....

I sorta slept through the whole ULN era. ... I kinda dropped out for a few yrs; now we are dosing nitrates ...fish food seems cheaper but definitely less scientific/accurate

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up.
Love #10. Absolutely chase that PH. The growth and consumption change is huge, it’s not even the least bit subtle.

i get why peopple keep parroting that because all of the pH buffers are pretty much bunk...but we now have co2 scrubbers, airline out the window, kalkwasser, sodium hydroxide for alk, etc... All stuff that will not crash your tank. Yet, people keep parroting "doint chase pH"
////////

" The scale is not linear—a drop from pH 8.2 to 8.1 indicates a 30 percent increase in acidity, or concentration of hydrogen ions; a drop from 8.1 to 7.9 indicates a 150 percent increase in acidity. "

yeah, if you're avg is 7.8 you're going to get NOWHEWRE close to the results folks do who have 8.1 avg

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread, some months ago I switched from aquaforest to ati essentials pro Wich doesn't require water changes but my acros have really been going downward... I think I will switch back to aquaforest and see if my acros will recover when doing water changes

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread, some months ago I switched from aquaforest to ati essentials pro Wich doesn't require water changes but my acros have really been going downward... I think I will switch back to aquaforest and see if my acros will recover when doing water changes

Ive never tried a non-WC method. I know I have seen some tanks that are gorgeous and use it, but, since Ive never tried it I can't speak to the efficacy. I know WC are super tedious, but it really is the simplest way to keep acros happy.. All the largest vendors who sell corals for a living do it... Would be a pretty large business mistake if they were wrong.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never tried a non-WC method. I know I have seen some tanks that are gorgeous and use it, but, since Ive never tried it I can't speak to the efficacy. I know WC are super tedious, but it really is the simplest way to keep acros happy.. All the largest vendors who sell corals for a living do it... Would be a pretty large business mistake if they were wrong.

I'm running the full Triton method and don't perform water changes. My acros are happy and growing. Both methods require regular maintenance. It's just your choice of water changes or testing and dosing. I live in an apartment with limited space, so having a 30gal trash can next to my tank for water changes is more of a headache.

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for a few yrs. I KNOW there are guys who know way more than me about taxonomy, have way more experience with growing sticks + all the different lighting equipment, and better at every other aspect.. In the past few years, (2015) I went from a relatively newbie, to I believe an intermediate. I can keep a tank stable. I can keep corals properfly fed. I can grow nubs to colonies. My color , PE and growth are good.

Still. There is SO much bad info that gets parroted. The only way to know for real is to DO yourself. Here's what I think I KNOW to be true

1. Water changes. Unless you have a tank that has been up for a very long time, you really need to do weekly or bi weekly WC. Acros LOVE WC. I don't know why, they just do. Change your filters often(ish) and your membrane often (ish). Sorry, outside, of stability, WC is the best and easiest way for healthy and happy acros.

2. Nutrients - the low nutrient thing is MOSTLY crap. Granted, I try as much as possible to export nutrients in a variety of fashions, acros love IMPORTING lots of nutrients as well. Dosing nitrates is a game changer. Phosphates is trickky. I've had high and really low. The only thing I can say is too low will pale your corals , and even wipe out all your acros. Probably .1 or a little less is ideal. Regardless, anyone that says "aim for ULNS" you're asking for paler corals w/ less growth. WAY more peoplw will crash their tanks with too low nutrients than far too high. its probably not close. make sure to have enough fish. Fish poop = good

3. Lighting. Higher par is DEFINITELY better for growth. But, too high par comes at a price. Too high par will kill color, stunt growth, and at worst kill your acros. You'll have to find with trial and error what color/growth distribution works for you. I like LEDs. they just make the corals better looking. The spectrum of LEDs have made great strides. Oh and get a par meter. Or rent.

4. Mount your sticks on an angle. More surface area. They grow faster.

5. Keep your sticks on the frag plug. Ugly at first, but, almost guaranteed you may have to move your stick to another spot for better growth /happiness. Its just easier to move it on a plug than gluing the bottom of a coral. oh, fragging definitely increases growth where you frag.

6. Still on the fence about aminos. I have noticed that brightwell aminos help out with color and health with stressed acros for SURE. Can't say I notice a difference with growth or color in any other product.

7. ALWAYS test. People will say "oh i just look at my corals to know if something is wrong." Thats cool, except when acros start looking bad that means something has been off for weeks, perhaps even a few months. By the time you see them "off" it may be too late and your tank could go into a tail spin. It's so much easier to just test and catch the problem earlier

8. Phytoplankton helps out PE. Is it beneficial to the acro? No idea. But the PE is anecdotally better.

9. Speaking of PE, some folks will say "PE doesnt matter to health." IME, the healthiest corals have the best PE. When PE goes away, something is wrong. Maybe there are instnaces where bad pe doesnt matter, but in my limited exp more pe = healthier , better growing acro.

10. higher pH = WAY better. some people say "dont chase pH"... crap... HUGE difference when your tank has higher pH vs under 8 in terms of growth. even a .1 difference is note worthy. I know bc i can see the difference in consumption.
I'm a mostly newbie, just seriously started testing and dosing our tanks. I love acros and fell victim to ARC's live sale last weekend. Lol two questions....um, what's PE? And what pH do you typically run? I just started the Reef moonshiners system a few weeks ago (non WC system) and am adding micro nano bubbling to help with CO.2/pH. Right around 8.1 (morning is 7.9) is where I'm at currently. Any info is appreciated! My Master Yoda would like to grow. LOL

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a mostly newbie, just seriously started testing and dosing our tanks. I love acros and fell victim to ARC's live sale last weekend. Lol two questions....um, what's PE? And what pH do you typically run? I just started the Reef moonshiners system a few weeks ago (non WC system) and am adding micro nano bubbling to help with CO.2/pH. Right around 8.1 (morning is 7.9) is where I'm at currently. Any info is appreciated! My Master Yoda would like to grow. LOL
PE stands for polyp extension
Like this
81592F7F-3CE9-4BCD-8CD9-91D9736DEC17.jpeg
7C36BC1C-666D-4F92-AB3D-2BD6D4CBBA53.jpeg
37454565-D068-4A3F-A431-890A1BBC8110.jpeg

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE stands for polyp extension
Like this
81592F7F-3CE9-4BCD-8CD9-91D9736DEC17.jpeg
7C36BC1C-666D-4F92-AB3D-2BD6D4CBBA53.jpeg
37454565-D068-4A3F-A431-890A1BBC8110.jpeg
Ah! Gotcha. Some of ours are mostly that happy, others not so much. That's my current struggle, it seems not all acros like the same thing. And thanks to that live sale, I have something like 15 that need placement in my tank!

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Gotcha. Some of ours are mostly that happy, others not so much. That's my current struggle, it seems not all acros like the same thing. And thanks to that live sale, I have something like 15 that need placement in my tank!

Hey JMR, curious how the frags turned out...

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to add an 11 to this, I would say if you're new to acro keeping *always* buy acros that have been in the hobby for a very long time. These tend to be WAY hardier and will last through the bumps in the road. New releases, wild acros and the like will always be MUCH less forgiving. Sometimes a piece will just be really happy in perfect conditions and STN out of nowhere.

Ora red planet (or anything from ORA) is a good place to start. if you can't keep their pieces alive and thriving, you have some more work to do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back