Must act fast - clownfish diagnosis needed

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying exactly what this is (white blubbery spot beneath chin) , how to treat it, and possibly cause. Thank you. I’ll perform a water change in the meantime. ‍♀️ 745EF20C-847C-4538-8919-0FF6345FB485.jpeg 4954D069-1F51-4A30-AC59-DD40B5A1615E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5932.MOV
    20.3 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from the pics... and the movie isn't working for me.

As long a the fish is acting normal, no rapid breathing, and eating normally, it may be best to watch it for changes over the next few days to see if it is progressive.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an injury. Just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, take better pics and see if it can be helped. At this stage, the main concern would be it getting infected. But like Idoc said, if it’s eating and breathing/swimming normally, I wouldn’t worry too much. Any fish, inverts and corals in the tank with it?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with minor injury or common lymphocystis. It looks like I see a tiny spot on the fin too. Hard to tell from pics.

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. He really seems to be just fine, eating well. I have a feeling it may be an injury from a recent infestation aiptasia anenomes. Must get a handle on these. Does garlic really help ward off infection?

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an injury. Just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, take better pics and see if it can be helped. At this stage, the main concern would be it getting infected. But like Idoc said, if it’s eating and breathing/swimming normally, I wouldn’t worry too much. Any fish, inverts and corals in the tank with it?
I think it’s Aiptasia - does garlic actually help ward off infection?

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with minor injury or common lymphocystis. It looks like I see a tiny spot on the fin too. Hard to tell from pics.
It is on the fin could be an aiptasia burn. Odd he seems to be doing ok. I’ll keep close watch.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic doesn’t cure anything. Just keep an eye on him. I think he’s fine for now.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s Aiptasia - does garlic actually help ward off infection?
A healthy clownfish has a mucous coating that protects them from the stings from anemones so I wouldn’t blame it on aiptaisa. Probably impossible to pinpoint how it happened after the fact. But keep an eye on it. I wouldn’t add garlic, that’s just kind of an anecdotal cure. Lots of pellets these days do include garlic in them however. My fish get injured from time to time. If healthy, they heal in a few days or so.

OP
OP
Happygo663

Happygo663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy clownfish has a mucous coating that protects them from the stings from anemones so I wouldn’t blame it on aiptaisa. Probably impossible to pinpoint how it happened after the fact. But keep an eye on it. I wouldn’t add garlic, that’s just kind of an anecdotal cure. Lots of pellets these days do include garlic in them however. My fish get injured from time to time. If healthy, they heal in a few days or so.
Thanks yes - Didn’t know if that applied for Pests. I’ll take a look at some pellets anyhow.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @areefahholic. Looks like a lymphocyte. If it interferes with swimming or eating, it may require surgery. But otherwise it shouldn't be an issue (if it is a lymphocyte).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back