Mutated snail??????

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video says it all.

Okay. Let me first start off by saying; this is my first reef tank so maybe this is more common than not.
I was sitting at my tank tonight just watching everything. This snail has been with us for quite some time now and has always had this weird extra shell on it, as seen in the photo on the right side.

I don’t know what intrigued me tonight but I turned my flashlight on to look at it more and IT MOVED. It almost looked like a clam closing shut however its a freaking snail?? What is this?? I’m not worried per say as everything in our tank seems to be doing well. You can see the gap in the second photo where it looks like a clam??? Is this something I should be worried about? We named the snail dyson. He’s huge and is a vacuum for diatoms, kind of have attachment to him and don’t want to lose him.

1E4054A2-66B1-4E06-8ABF-E5560960F3CD.jpeg 2128FC2B-49F8-4DDE-9B68-3E6C362B63EE.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4391.MOV
    19.2 MB

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure in the pics, and I can’t see the video on my phone, but prob a clam. I have a trochus with multiple on his shell that are alive, and he’s just fine. Shine a flashlight on it when it’s open and you’ll see it close up in reaction to the light — I do that periodically to see if they’re still alive.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure in the pics, and I can’t see the video on my phone, but prob a clam. I have a trochus with multiple on his shell that are alive, and he’s just fine. Shine a flashlight on it when it’s open and you’ll see it close up in reaction to the light — I do that periodically to see if they’re still alive.
I am guessing that’s what it is. Didn’t know that could happen! It’s neat haha

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine actually look like scallops. They are farther back on the snail’s shell and haven’t been an issue, but they’re super interesting to watch.

I can’t tell in the OP photos but thought I saw some ridges along the shell opening?

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine actually look like scallops. They are farther back on the snail’s shell and haven’t been an issue, but they’re super interesting to watch.

I can’t tell in the OP photos but thought I saw some ridges along the shell opening?
There are ridges. I’m thinking maybe a clam.

Back