Mutiny Ozone Reactor v2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t compare, but were all things equal in both setups? Tank size, Sump, top, season(s) etc?

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change to the system, went from one setup to the other in a few hours after setup. I'm gonna check effluent ORP but for some reason I'm using more ozone to get less results regardless of circulation flow.

Skimmer was pulling a lot more air through the poseidon than what the included air pump is pushing through. I have a 150 I tried for a bit but it throws off the balance through the reactor and it ends up killing the foam at the top. Guess I could push more water when I'm pushing that much more air.

I think doing that though is pushing too much effluent through the carbon, possibly reducing the efficiency of the carbon.

Last edited:

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure of why you would want your ORP to shoot up very quickly and then have to turn ozone off for long period of time? The ideal scenario would be able to run lots of your tank water through ozone for a longer period of time to really polish your water and never have to turn off the ozone generator.

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure of why you would want your ORP to shoot up very quickly and then have to turn ozone off for long period of time? The ideal scenario would be able to run lots of your tank water through ozone for a longer period of time to really polish your water and never have to turn off the ozone generator.

Not that I want it to shoot up fast but rather that it's running more inefficiently than it was prior in that even turning it all the way up it's not getting as high as it did before. And not that it's really important in this aspect but when I feed the orp drops and it takes far longer to recover from it. I guess it's more that I have to run more ozone for less effect with a slower recovery period, maybe generating more nitric acid even though I use a dryer.

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for replying directly! I'm using my phone and didn't see who it was in the thread. I recall seeing the mutiny 2 can handle 600 gallons so I was wondering if that's rated with the 50 pump and what kind of return flow rate is suited for that many gallons? It seems there's a sweet spot visibly at the top of the reactor where it either foams well or drops out with too much or too little flow or too much air input. Is there a max throughput where carbon efficiency is overwhelmed or the air pump is overwhelmed, and would it work to use the higher pump and higher circulation rate without overwhelming the carbon? Although I think the limiting factor there is I'm only getting so much out of the Poseidon though. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after trying every combination of flow vs ozone vs air pump, the tank stabilizes around 246 now and doesn't get any higher. Feeding the tank causes dramatic drop which takes a long time to recover from. Basically feeding about a half a standard cube of LRS keeps the ORP very low and the tank can never get any higher. I seem to be the only one who's not getting much performance out of this unit. Without it I hovered around 230-235 average. To only get an increase of 10 points or so is extremely disappointing.

As it stands now, the highest readings I can get are with a whisper 150 and a danner 3. Using the whisper 50 only goes so far in overall throughput as when you start pushing higher flow through the unit the backpressure slows ozone input and the sicce doesn't mix as much ozone/air through the pump.

Next I'll take readings and post the various ORP values of the effluent so we can see what it's producing at max.

I contrast this to running the poseidon on 3 through the skimmer and being able to get ORP up to 400 no problem. This has me considering just pulling the mutiny and going back to using the skimmer and just dialing down the ozone to 1 or so to curb the ozone retention in the water.

Unless there's something I'm missing in the physics of the design and some recommendations can fix this situation this unit is getting pulled from my system. I just can't agree with some other's observations that using a reactor such as this provides far greater efficiency than using a skimmer. When using my skimmer the flow through the generator is far greater than the air pump generates and if sufficiently sized the skimmer provides much more interaction with the water in the chamber although there's no recirculation and carbon which is the only downside. Some escapes. But if I can get my ORP to sustain at 350+ while keeping the generator down around 2 I'm putting less stress on the corona tube, less power to create the ozone and the ORP is far higher and doesn't take as deep a hit when feeding and recovers faster.

Anyone with an idea, other than sell it to someone else?

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary design goal of our reactor is to effectively clarify water in a safe and low maintenance manner. I have always judged the health of my reef aquarium by appearance and growth of the inhabitants, the clarity of the water, and lack of undesirable algae and detritus, and not by what number my ORP controller says (or any other number for that matter). I can imagine that yes, the ORP number would probably rise if I injected ozone directly into my skimmer. But then I wouldn’t be carbon filtering both the outgoing air and water. The tank area will smell like ozone, equipment and wires will degrade over time from ozone exposure, and plenty of oxidation byproducts will go back into the water. I’d accomplish basically the same goal (clarifying water) but in a more haphazard and potentially dangerous manner. There are more factors to consider on the efficacy of an ozone system than only the ORP reading.

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my skimmer for my ozone .but im thinking about switching to a reactor only because.i have a vertex skimmer with a bubnle king pump and i dont want the ozone to ruin the pump its very expensive and would be hard to get a replacement .to stop the smell of ozone i woukd but bags of carbon over the skimmer cube holes.i would never smell ozone while doing that so i guess that was working ..

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked mine up last night. I am running it for 3 hours every night. When not doing ozone 24/7 should I have the reactor running the entire time with just the ozone generator turning on a few hours a night, or should I just have the entire setup, reactor pump / air pump/ feed pump / generator all on one outlet turning on all at once? I find the pump in the reactor being a tad loud (I am running it outside of my sump). If the entire setup is running just a few hours a night it's no big deal, but if I were to run it 24/7 then it would annoy me. I also don't see any benefits of 24/7 besides if the generator isn't on besides the water running through a carbon reactor. LMK thanks

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adamc13o3 we suggest leaving everything on except the generator since adding extra oxygen under pressure inside the reactor does have a positive impact on tank health. Typically noise is comparable to a protein skimmer so if you are experiencing a louder noise level than that, please email us so we can get more information and see if there is an issue.

If you decide to turn off the system while not in use, it is a good idea to keep the feed pump running so the activated carbon is always filtering your system.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out my sicce feed pump for the new AI axis pump. It’s a very small controllable DC pump. I set it up to go at full power the entire day so the carbon reactor is being used like a regular carbon reactor and then when the ozone is one it drops to 20% which is 25 GPH or close to it after timing it while filling up a gallon of water.

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i have been running my mutiny v2.1 for 3 or 4 months now and always notice the smell of ozone if im hovering over my sump where the reactor is, the sump is open to the room with no doors. the room never smells just if i have my head over the sump is this normal?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jesmann

You may still smell some ambient ozone when in such close proximity, the system is designed to bring the level down to below the 0.10ppm threshold which is generally considered safe. The odor threshold concentration for ozone is about 0.02-0.04 mg.m-3 (0.01-0.02 ppm). Thus, ozone is generally detected by observation before dangerous concentrations are reached. We have been doing some direct work with Ozotech to be able to better quantify some of these numbers for you, also we have been working on a final gas/water separation stage that brings the ambient readings all the way down to a non detect level. This will be a fairly simple and affordable option for those that are sensitive to the smell or just want that extra piece of mind.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the manual says not to chase orp numbers. I have a question though. I notice that my ORP numbers go up during ozone use but then immediately decrease to below what they started at before the ozone use when the ozone is turned off. Is this normal? I am also not using an air dryer.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is totally normal behavior for ORP. You really should only be concerned with max ORP for generator cutoff and then you can look at the trends over the course of several months.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up a new Mutiny 2.1 externally with sicce .5 feed pump. For some reason the water level in the carbon chamber will not pressurize and go down when recirculating pump is on. What could cause this?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t go below this level for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 19

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine a little lower after 24 hrs running.
This could be the carbon insert not fully pushed into the carbon lid coupling allowing a small bypass. Try reseating this connection and let me know if it pushes the water through to the correct level. If not, a video of it in operation would be helpful. You can send to [email protected] for a little faster response time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back