My 10+ year old Unicorn Tang died tonight

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I left this morning he appeared to be breathing heavy and would not eat. He has always been an aggressive eater. The other fish are eating but now it appears my desjardini tang is breathing heavy but eating. I haven't added any fish to my tank. Everyone has been healthy for years. I just lost all my SPS coral to something unknown. All of the coral RTN despite my ideal parameters.

I love my fish and do not want to watch the rest die

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I'd be pretty upset if that happened to my 9 year old clown.

I'd post this up in the fish disease forum so the experts there will see it too. My first check would be ammonia as well. How recently did all of your corals go? I'd be concerned something is way off in the tank. Can you do a really large water change?

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I found something.

******* peace of **** neptune product. I hate that company

Randomly it decided to dump all of my alk and calcium in my tank. It’s been dosing for months and randomly does this.

Their garbage product killed my pet I loved

8EB4666B-7126-43A2-9F81-98118BF7088F.png

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been seeing so many posts about controllers causing problems lately i have decided to just keep my lights on a controller and my kalk stirrer on the timer.....

it has been running on the same timer for 6 years with the only fault being mine by manually turning on the ATO and forgetting to turn it off.... i come back in to the room after a shower and my tank looked like someone dumped 2 gallons of milk in it

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I found something.

******* peace of **** neptune product. I hate that company

Randomly it decided to dump all of my alk and calcium in my tank. It’s been dosing for months and randomly does this.

Their garbage product killed my pet I loved

8EB4666B-7126-43A2-9F81-98118BF7088F.png

have you checked the programming? have you tinkered with it before the episode?

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you checked the programming? have you tinkered with it before the episode?

It's not the programming. I have not changed anything. The programming still says 40ML a day. Their product failed. It killed my fish. I have never hated a company so badly in my life @Terence hope to see you at the next show.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :(
I have this love/hate relationship with technology. This is another check mark in the hate column.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your Apex failed?

I'm sure, I started looking for problems when I realized the dosing pumps were stuck on. They dumped a liter of vodka and at least 800mg of calcium and Alk into my tank. Two different dosing pumps. I hate how these companies have no responsibility. If a product failed and killed my dog it would be on the news. This is a $2,000 investment that killed my fish. I'm making water as fast as I can to try and save my other fish.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen shows it dosed 800 ml instead of 40?

is that what i am reading.... i have a reef keeper that i use for a light timer only im not familiar with the apex..... i was thinking of upgrading but now not so sure...

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen shows it dosed 800 ml instead of 40?

is that what i am reading.... i have a reef keeper that i use for a light timer only im not familiar with the apex..... i was thinking of upgrading but now not so sure...
If you watch some of the MACNA videos the pros never use an APEX and if they do it does not control any equipment. Neptune is complete garbage. This isnt the first time I had issues. Their support takes weeks at times. I had to pay to ship back a defective product.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for your losses. :(

If I had to guess, the calcium and Alk dump is what killed all your SPS. However, your fish are probably suffocating to death from all that vodka fueling bacteria growth and they are using up most of the oxygen in the water.

Point all your powerheads towards the surface of the water (to increase gas exchange) and run as many air stones in your DT as you can. Do water changes with heavily oxygenated water, and if the fish are looking too bad relocate them to another tank ASAP.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back