My 120 Gallon Mixed Reef (3rd Tank is the charm?)

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a short hiatus when I shut down both tanks due to life/kids/work—I started back again with this tank- 120 gallon mixed reef. It is an AGA 120 gallon with dual overflow that I am running dual Herbie drains. Here is the pic of when I first got it from Craigslist with just tank/stand.
IMG_7021 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I refinished the stand to match the living room and built a canopy. This is my first attempt at DYI- built with doors to front and sides for easier access of tank. Approx 14” lights distance from top of water. Here is a pic of the build and then the finished product-
IMG_7294 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_7941 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_7930 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is is a 40 gallon breeder. DYI into 4 chamber with built-in dual 4” filter cup chamber/skimmer chamber, return and refugium. Here is some of the build pics for that-
First the mock-up-
IMG_7947 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
Then the build-
IMG_7975 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_7984 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
Here is a diagram of herbie drain/sump configuration I used-
IMG_7978 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
And here is a pic of the plumbing on the sump.
IMG_8031 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting—I used 2 Reefbreeders Superlux LEDs (165 watt full-spectrum) that I had from my old 75gal tank. I added 2 T5- HO retrofit— 36" Kit – with Blue+/coral+ and purple+/blue+ bulb configuration.
I had never done any electrical work prior- so here is my attempt at a clean T5 retrokit build to add to the canopy.
IMG_8058 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_8074 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To summarize the rest of the equipment-
I am using a Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT 8" Skimmer. This is more than needed but I feed a lot. The return pump is a Current USA 6010 DC pump. For ATO—I am using the dual sensor from autotopoff.com- with with Tom’s Aqualifter to 14 gallon ATO reservoir. I originally thought I could get away with 5 gallon ATO but realized quickly that would not work.
IMG_8148 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
And here is the current ATO container-
IMG_8277 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dosing with a Bubble Magus BM-T01 Dosing Pump- BRS Alk/Calcium and Mag
For timers/controllers- I am using a Kasa Smart WiFi Power Strip and Ranco Temperature controller- ETC to control the heaters. Heaters are two 300 watt Finnexx Heater.
For flow- I am using 2 Jebao OW-40 Wave Maker Flow Pumps.

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the build—To start- I used all dry rock. Over 2 months before everything was done on the tank- I rinsed and soaked the rock in bleach for several days then soaked in DI water and with seachem prime. I then cycled the rock in rubbermaid tubs and Dr. Tim’s additives along with concentrate ammonia.
IMG_7768 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_7771 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock work for the reefscape. I cut a bunch of the base rock in half so it can sit flat.
IMG_8065 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_8066 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
Put together the Rockscape. Tried to use the golden rule /ratio for composition. I am pleased with how it turned out. I puttied the rockscape together and everything is stable and happy.
IMG_8067 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_8071 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my prior tank- I mistakenly introduced ich and did not have a QT system. I vowed not to have the same problem with this tank. So all fish introduced have gone through a quarantine in a 20 High- with hang on filter and airstone and some PVC. I QT’d a 2-4 fish at a time. I started QT’ing the first group of fish the month before the tank was setup while the dry rock was cycling.
Here are the first additions—a pair of Ocellaris clowns (just tiny little things), a small watchman goby that was supposed to be yellow but turned out to be regular grey spotted, and an orange spot goby.
IMG_7977 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last year, I have fully stocked (and probably overstocked) my tank. But everyone is happy and cohabitating. The stock list and order of stocking is pair of ocellaris clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris), a grey spotted watchman goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus), an Orange spot Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata), a purple firefish (Nemateleotris decora), a midas blenny (Ecsenius midas), a blue-green chromis (Chromis sp.), a royal Gramma (Gramma loreto), a red headed solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis), a yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Parachelinus flavaianalis), a Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni), a green Mandarin Dragonet-(Synchiropus splendidus), a yellow-eyed Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus), a long-nosed Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus), a Tricolor/Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki) and last but not least- a yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens).
I had tried for a pair of purple firefish but one hid most of the time and slowly wasted over 4 weeks before dying so I am staying with a single. I probably should have known I wouldn’t be able to keep a pair but I was hopeful and my LFS said it should be no problem.
So I am fully stocked after 12 months of slowly adding 1-4 fish at a time. All are healthy and very fat- including the dragonet. I waited until the tank was 7 months old and had added 3 rounds of pods in preparation for him. He has done great over the last several months.
Here are some pictures.
IMG_8133 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_8448 June 14 2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

IMG_8703 August2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr
IMG_8977 Aug 2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Here are the clowns now—grown up
IMG_9003 Dec 11 2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is August 2020- about 8 months old FTS
IMG_8940 Aug 2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Last again is the current almost 1 year old FTS
IMG_9027 Dec 11 2020 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

And that’s it for now.
Caught up to a build thread-- 1 year condensed into all at once. But atleast I have the thread started even though it is almost 1 year into the tank.

Thanks for looking.

Schweezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good. I think I’m going to build a 120 too. What 120 you going with? I have a RSR 170 that will be 4 years old in January.

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your diy looks awesome you’re clearly a jack of all trades! I’m just starting a new ish tank but it’s my first one.. I love how yours is shaping up!

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks-- had never done anything like building the canopy before-- but it came out nicely. Of course-- no one looks at the canopy or stand.
This is my third attempt at a reeftank. I feel like things are going well- I certainly learned alot from my prior mistakes.

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks-- had never done anything like building the canopy before-- but it came out nicely. Of course-- no one looks at the canopy or stand.
This is my third attempt at a reeftank. I feel like things are going well- I certainly learned alot from my prior mistakes.
Mistakes are the best way to learn sometimes unfortunately.. but looks like there were no mistakes made with your canopy.. not many people may look at it but just knowing what you’ve built and witnessing it every day make you proud.. I know this of my build anyway!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back