My 120G Mix Reef tank - #Tank Build

aidil257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my 3 week old 120G tank which was an upgrade from my old 50G tank. I am very happy with how this tank is build which I’ve managed to include manifolds in the system (one of my wish list).

The tank measurements are, 1200mm x 500mm x 500mm (H) sitting on a Timber wood frame. As for the sump measurements, 710mm x 440mm x 450mm (H).

Below are the photos of my new tank and a brief description how I do my mini cycle. I’m sorry that I didn’t have any photos when the tank was bare and empty.

E018225E-CE73-459C-9A4F-025FBB4BF577.jpeg

CC178DB9-9DB2-42AA-B2FD-1DA7F1D90DDA.jpeg

D3856850-5579-4F97-AF4E-C0304A0A2C6C.jpeg

B4870F29-8D43-4F2D-9082-849E36EF5B45.jpeg

Tank set up:
On the first day, I’ve set up the tank with new sand and rock. Then transferred all my bacteria media and add 20% of water from the old tank to the new. Then followed by 50% of refugium from old tank. This also gave me the opportunity to clean & soaked my skimmer with vinegar. Upgraded my chiller from Hailea HS-28 to TECO TK-500 due to the size of the tank. On the same day, I’ve put in tonnes of bacteria from Microbe-Lift, Bio Digest and Tropic Marin Activ. Upgraded my wave maker to GP-03 Gyre from Glamorca. Then leave the tank to run overnight.

On the second day, I’ve transferred over my AI Hydra 32 and refugium lighting from Tunze. Add up more of Bio Digest and Tropic Marin Activ into the tank. I used 50lbs of CaribSea dry rock for the aquascaping with the help & ideas from junior and started dosing Tropic Marin-All for reef before we called it a day.

On the night of third day, I began to transfer all the remaining rocks and corals into the tank and add more of Bio Digest and Tropical Marin Activ followed by adding 10% of saltwater from my old tank.

On the forth day, I’ve transferred all of my fishes and shut down my old tank. Then began cleaning the old tank before selling it off to the new owner. At the same time, transferred my carbon reactor and installed my old skimmer (Octo Essence 130). Running it without any skim cup, giving time for the skimmer to break in.

I bought another set of AI Hydra 32 on the fifth day and run both lightings with 4 hours of ramp up schedule. All corals seems to be doing fine except for 2 zoa small colonies which bailed out on me.

I did 10% of water change on the 7th and 13th day using salt from Redsea Coral Pro. I am now monitoring my corals for any abnormal signs and check my water parameters every 3 days. My skimmer just ended it’s break in period yesterday and now skimming as per normal, collecting lots of waste. However, my water salinity is on a low side at 1.021d SG and I am planning to increase the salinity by replacing new water of 1.03d SG every water change.

So below are the list of my livestocks;

Fishes
1) Black Ocellaris clown fish
2) Clarkii Clown fish
3) 2 Maroon clown fish
4) 2 normal peculiar clown fish
5) 1 Formosa wrasse
6) 1 Purple tang
7) 1 Fox Face
8) Lawnmower Blenny
9) Marine Beta
10) Picasso Clown fish

Corals
1) 2 Blue Green Favia
2) 2 Brown Scoly
3) Green pocillopora (new addition)
4) Red Cynarina
5) Green brain
6) Green centre clove polyps
7) Green mushroom
8) a colony of green palys
9) Toad stool leather
10) colony of purple blasto
11) 5 small colonies of Zoas

Currently, I am still considering either to install Neptune Apex or GHL Proflux keeping in mind the limited space I have in my sump area. Also, comparing which ones are more compatible and an idiot proof system. Thanks to junior, we’ve also posted videos of our old and new tank in youtube and our channel name is ReefNoobeez (Just in case if you were wondering how my old tank looks like) but again apologies in advance for the quality of the videos & musics since video taken from junior (10 yr old).

My apologies, if this write up is quite lengthy and feel free to provide your comments.

Thank you for your time to read about my tank build.

Stay safe and stay healthy!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Enjoy reading about it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back