My 125g mixed reef build (future)

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i am planning a 125 gallon mixed reef aquarium that i will get this black friday. This will be my first saltwater tank. This is my plan so far:

Supplies:

Tank/Stand:
Petsmart 125 gallon tank/stand combo
Live sand: 120 pounds
Live rock: 120 pounds - Caribsea
Filter: Polar Aurora 525 GPH
Heater: 500W
Lights: 3 Nicrew 150W Lights'
Ro/Di: 1 Ro/Di unit
4 battery powered air pumps: For emergencies
Magnesium addative
Sea chem denitrite
Refractometer
Ph increaser
Ph decreaser
Salifert test kits:
Copper, calcium, alk, phosphate, magnesium, ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite
Copper addative
Skimmer
Fish net
Algae scraper
40 oz epoxy
5g bucket
Instant ocean sea salt mix
12 oz Original rods food
8 oz Herbivore frenzy LRS blend
Aqueon water changer 25 feet long

Live stock:

Fish:

1 Royal gramma basslet - live aquaria
1 blue tang - live aquaria
2 occelaris clownfish - pick up from petco
1 canary blenny - live aquaria
1 firefish - live aquaria
1 one spot foxface rabbitfish - live aquaria
1 yellow pyramid butterfly fish
1 blue neon goby - live aquaria

Invertebrates:
20 astrea snails - live aquaria
24 blue legged hermit crabs - live aquaria
1 pincushion urchin - live aquaria
2 fighting conch - live aquaria

Coral:
Some sps and lps after i get used to caring for the fish.

I would appreciate any help!!!

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome - Warning info Dump ahead. You probably already started but here is some info for you to consider:
You are talking about a Mixed Reef Tank. No Tap!, No Brita Filtered Water! You need RODI (there are reasons) - your LFS (Fish store) should have it. There are other options as well. Go Slow - nothing good in this hobby happens fast! Cycle your tank first. Make sure your Bio Filtration is adequate for your live stock as you slowly add fish (I added Clownfish to my tank first - why: they are hardy) Having said that you want to learn about the nitrogen cycle - and how to tell if you tank is ready for fish. Consider where you will put the tank. Sunlight, really impacted my tank. I did a 55 Gallon with Hang On Back Filters (2 75 Gallon Filters) with 2 AI Primes (Lighting - Full Spectrum LEDs). Also did regular Water Changes - Regular Testing - Still a Disaster - why - It was a learning tank - I did not Use RODI, I did not consider the impact of Sunlight. I could not control the algae. Ended up breaking down the tank - rehoming livestock to a 180 Gallon Peninsula tank. I would suggest you check a marine compatibility chart for the live stock - be careful with a starfish in a reef tank (I had a Cleaner Shrimp and introduced a few Hermit Crabs - I guess it was either compatibility or I did not get enough food to the hermit crabs - I happened to walk by at the "right" time and I saw my hermit crab feeding on my cleaner shrimp - not pretty)! Also consider flow and aquascaping (remember to keep space between your aquascaping and glass/acrylic of tank. If your tank is acrylic - care should be taken not to scratch it while cleaning it). Will the tank be large enough for your live stock when they grow - consider this for fish and corals. Also consider the position of corals in tank - Top Middle or Bottom of Tank. Corals can be Peaceful or Aggressive. You will need to consider lighting and the position of lighting - above tank (Distance off the water line - PAR). For instance I have a 29 in deep tank + 2 Inch sand bed (180 Gallon mentioned above) and my lights (two AP700's are mounted on a light rail 10 Inches off the water line). You will want to think about how long should I keep my lights on the necessary spectrum. You will also need to consider a Protein Skimmer as well as a water auto top off unit (you don't want to manually add water to your Tank every day - Evaporation which affects salinity) Another item to think about is when you go away (Vacation, travel for business) - how will you feed, top off water, etc.). Consider power outages - remember you have an active living environment here and a power failure can be bad for your tank and the critters that live in it. The pump is the most important thing to keep the water flowing (I have a UPS on my system). And don't forget to water test - Learn which elements to test for and the values you are looking for. I would suggest tracking the results of each water test. Remember your Clean Up Crew - Think of Substrate. It sounds like a lot, but you want to be successful. I did not add all this equipment at once - but its an ongoing thing. For a Mixed Reef Tank - I would say between 1.024 - 1.026 sg. You are probably going to want to do water changes about every 2 weeks to replenish critical elements and get rid of undesirable ones. As for how much Salt to buy - look at what you will need every 2 weeks, and go with what your budget will allow. GPH is good Question - but based on the date of your post you have probably already addressed the basic equipment: Pump, Lights, Protein Skimmer. Having said all that, it is a fun hobby. Good Luck and remember there are lots of good resources here at Reef2Reef. Would enjoy seeing pictures of your build. Check out the various forums here - they will help. Sorry for the disorganized thoughts but I wanted to get this out there for you.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back