OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 2 days ago sushi blocked up the opening to his cave and I started holding my breath. My last mantis shrimp, Goji, died during a premature molt and I'm pretty sure that's what just happened. Today I noticed the rubble had been moved so I flashed my phone light inside to check if he was ok. He came rushing to the mouth of the cave but refused to come outside. I assume he just finished molting and is probably still vulnerable.

On closer inspection, I was able to see the one thing I was hoping for... His new punching arm. Or at least I think that's what a saw. A small white appendage I never noticed before seems to have sprouted from the spot where his left punching arm was missing. He was still hiding in the rubble so it was hard to see clearly or take a good picture. Let me know what you think.
IMG_3828.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too embarrassed of how the tank looks at the moment to take a video but I have recently been able to feed sushi by hand! He is very tame probably because his new arm is still growing in. I never see him punch. So I decided to try it. It’s funny. He rushes up and grabs the shrimp but then gets greedy and try’s to tug at my fingers as if to take them back to his burrow as well. Ahaha

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of me feeding Sushi by hand. I know the tank is a mess. but I have a huge overhaul planned when I get back from holiday traveling.

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved to Japan from California 2 weeks ago and grabbed a 28g nano cube, I was thinking about getting my first mantis shrimp for it but the tank doesn't have a top. Seeing your adventure in this I was wondering if you thought it was safe or do they try and jump out of topless tanks?

New tank still cycling.

20200118_210815.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved to Japan from California 2 weeks ago and grabbed a 28g nano cube, I was thinking about getting my first mantis shrimp for it but the tank doesn't have a top. Seeing your adventure in this I was wondering if you thought it was safe or do they try and jump out of topless tanks?

New tank still cycling.

20200118_210815.jpg
They will not jump out. Good size tank for one...just needs more rock...

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted more rock for caves, how deep of a sand bed do you think would be good? Right now im at 2 inches but if a mantis shrimp likes digging there own tunnels im willing to hit maybe 5 inches. The larger rocks are resting solid on the bottom with sand filled in around them.

20200120_221856.jpg 20200120_221903.jpg 20200120_221914.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted more rock for caves, how deep of a sand bed do you think would be good? Right now im at 2 inches but if a mantis shrimp likes digging there own tunnels im willing to hit maybe 5 inches. The larger rocks are resting solid on the bottom with sand filled in around them.

Sand bed needs to be at least as deep.as the mantis will reach in length...so 6 inch mantis means at least 6 inch bed.
Myself i would build him a tunnel out of pvc big enough to turn around in with 2 entrances bury in sand and build my rockwork on top leaving him some handleable rubble to make his entrances with.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New tank still cycling.

20200118_210815.jpg

I was never worried about jumping. I don't know for sure but I would be very surprised if they are prone to escaping. my understanding is that they prefer to find a home and maintain it. if they have a secure and large burrow they don't have much incentive to explore other than to hunt.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted in a while because I have been very disheartened. over Christmas, I spent a week in France visiting family. when I returned home the power strip that feeds my heater, skimmer, light, and return pump, had been switched off. I also didnt heat my apartment while away. the cold and stagnant water was too much for Sushi and she didn't survive.

She was doing so well, her new arm had almost completely regrown after a couple of molts and I was enjoying hand feeding her as well. She will be missed.

I'm not sure if I should try to keep another mantis shrimp. I don't feel like I've been a responsible fishkeeper after two deaths on my hands. I really love these animals and recommend them to anyone interested but I'm not sure I deserve another chance. what do you think?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted in a while because I have been very disheartened. over Christmas, I spent a week in France visiting family. when I returned home the power strip that feeds my heater, skimmer, light, and return pump, had been switched off. I also didnt heat my apartment while away. the cold and stagnant water was too much for Sushi and she didn't survive.

She was doing so well, her new arm had almost completely regrown after a couple of molts and I was enjoying hand feeding her as well. She will be missed.

I'm not sure if I should try to keep another mantis shrimp. I don't feel like I've been a responsible fishkeeper after two deaths on my hands. I really love these animals and recommend them to anyone interested but I'm not sure I deserve another chance. what do you think?
A power strip getting switched off is a mistake! But please, don’t let it ruin your love for this animal! I would try another whenever you feel you have the time to start again. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please welcome the new king of the nano tank, Saitama. Some of you may get the name ahah. I got a lead out of the blue that someone was rehoming their mantis shrimp and I jumped at the chance!

3E9B1CB2-CB68-40AD-9FB8-83C384F064B0.jpeg 7D0BDB4D-C6CE-4633-991E-2E898F786237.jpeg

Petrone561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got on EVO, how is the new guy doing? Thinking of using it for a Mantis

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love the Omanyte profile pic :) #pokemon4life

Back